MaxM

Does anyone know if any fish illnesses can cause discoloration in fish? I don't mean white or gold spots like ich or velvet. I've noticed in some of my fish since I moved them to a new tank that they seem to have an orange hue on parts of their body. I don't know if I just didn't notice it before or if there is something to be concerned about. The fish don't seem to be lethargic and they have healthy appetites at this point. Anybody aware of a discoloration issue?

17 hours ago, Cory said:

Pictures would help. But color change from stress is very common.

Here are a couple of pictures. Look at the Angelfish. Sorry, camera not the best. Also, the fish refused to pose for me. 😞

IMG_20201012_183843.jpg

IMG_20201012_184339.jpg

IMG_20201012_184401.jpg

IMG_20201012_184502.jpg

38 minutes ago, Cory said:

All I can see from the pic is a koi angelfish which would be typically to have orange parts?

It's actually a silver angelfish. The orange color only started after I moved it to a new tank. Also, I believe (could be wrong) that the orange color on a Koi Angelfish is much darker. Is it common for the orange of a koi to only come in only after around 9 months?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, MaxM said:

It's actually a silver angelfish. The orange color only started after I moved it to a new tank. Also, I believe (could be wrong) that the orange color on a Koi Angelfish is much darker. Is it common for the orange of a koi to only come in only after around 9 months?

It certainly can. The fish in the picture is a typical koi angel. Or the worst silver angel out there, with all the broken lines that should be solid. I'd place my money on it's just a koi angelfish. Which some of the genetics come from silver angelfish.

14 minutes ago, Cory said:

It certainly can. The fish in the picture is a typical koi angel. Or the worst silver angel out there, with all the broken lines that should be solid. I'd place my money on it's just a koi angelfish. Which some of the genetics come from silver angelfish.

I thought Koi were white with black and orange. Mine Angelfish is all silver with broken black stripes and now a little orange on his head and dorsal fin.

I feel like "Koi" is kind of a vague term to any combination that looks like a koi goldfish. As far as I know no governing body controls what a fish store labels a fish. Some one may have bred a Koi with a silver and u got a hybrid coloration. Also sometimes angels are sold as blue if their scales reflect the light in a certain way. 

Further more diet is a huge factor in coloration as well as maturity and stress levels. So the fish def could develop orange later in life.

Edited by Ben Ellison
  • Like 1