Dwarf Chain Loaches

Leo2o915

I have dwarf chain loaches from Aquahuna.  I've had them about a year.  They got reaaalllyyyy delayed in shipping (not aquahuna's fault) and took 9 days to arrive.  All but one bag was alive.  I ordered 12 total.  They sent 14.  I ended up with 11.  I'd say go for it!  You will probably want to run parasite treatments through them when they arrive.  I had a couple that got very, very skinny even after QT with paracleanse.  They improved with levamisole.  So, just a heads up that you might want that on hand.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, KaitieG said:

I have dwarf chain loaches from Aquahuna.  I've had them about a year.  They got reaaalllyyyy delayed in shipping (not aquahuna's fault) and took 9 days to arrive.  All but one bag was alive.  I ordered 12 total.  They sent 14.  I ended up with 11.  I'd say go for it!  You will probably want to run parasite treatments through them when they arrive.  I had a couple that got very, very skinny even after QT with paracleanse.  They improved with levamisole.  So, just a heads up that you might want that on hand.

Ok awesome thanks so how hot did you have the QT tank at ? 

On 2/5/2022 at 3:51 PM, KaitieG said:

All dwarf chain are tank raised as they are an endangered species; I would find it very surprising if they have parasite as that would suggest unclean tanks where they were raised.

On 2/5/2022 at 4:53 PM, anewbie said:

All dwarf chain are tank raised as they are an endangered species; I would find it very surprising if they have parasite as that would suggest unclean tanks where they were raised.

Guppies and other livebearers are also usually captive bred and are notorious for parasite issues.  I know that dwarf chains are captive bred, but I don't really think that precludes them from having parasites.  Maybe I'm wrong.  All I know is that I had a couple of really skinny ones shipped, they didn't fatten up like the others, and I didn't have success treating them with paracleanse.  Levamasole seemed to help one of them and the other died.  Not a huge sample size to generalize...just trying to share my observations and experience in case it might be helpful.

Overall, I was impressed by the health and quality of the Dwarf Chain Loaches I bought from Aquahuna.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:54 PM, anewbie said:

Well I would be concern if any captive bred fish had parasite. Some loaches are picky eaters; do you have snails in  your tank? They love snails...

Yep--I got them largely for controlling the snails.  They do enjoy eating them judging by the empty shells.  The others have done well for the year I've had them.  

I bought 28 from aquahuna. They arrived alive and had to be dewormed. I honestly do not recommend them though. In my opinion they are a pretty boring fish. They spend most of the time sitting at the bottom of the tank not being active. It was rare when they would display their interesting social behavior. Mine were nipping the fins of other fish.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:36 AM, 2000tetras said:

I bought 28 from aquahuna. They arrived alive and had to be dewormed. I honestly do not recommend them though. In my opinion they are a pretty boring fish. They spend most of the time sitting at the bottom of the tank not being active. It was rare when they would display their interesting social behavior. Mine were nipping the fins of other fish.

Mine are actually quite active.  They are SUPER fast and like to zoom around the tank in a pack (or two).  They haven't eliminated my snails, but the snails are almost never on the glass since I put the loaches in the tank.