Stocking a betta community tank

delphine

I have a 20-long planted aquarium that I am planning to stock with bronze cory cats, neon tetras (and possibly harlequin rasboras–too much?), 2 clown plecos, and a betta. Do I add the betta first or last? Does it matter? Also, any thoughts or suggestions on the stocking?

It really all depends on the personality of your betta. It's usually safest to add the betta last, or at least after some other fish are there, as there's far less chance of territorial aggression. If you don't have the betta yet, I'd plan for last to be safest. if you have him already, and know his demeanor, it's really up to him how well he does 😉

But, for a 20 long, with proper schools, you're probably looking at 8 to 10 harlequins, 10 or more tetras, 6 corys, the 2 plecos, and the betta. Going by the "1 inch of fish per gallon" thing, you'd be a little over stocked. But, with good filtration and water changes you could probably make it work.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 5:20 PM, Greg Stewart said:

But, for a 20 long, with proper schools, you're probably looking at 8 to 10 harlequins, 10 or more tetras, 6 corys, the 2 plecos, and the betta. Going by the "1 inch of fish per gallon" thing, you'd be a little over stocked. But, with good filtration and water changes you could probably make it work.

This is my second tank so am leaning toward not overstocking. So that means either neon tetras or harlequins–that is a touch decision.

@delphineMy harlequins  are skittish, untrusting, ungrateful little turds 😉 They're beautiful, but they panic and hide whenever anyone approaches the tank.

(What's with that bold font?)

My CPDs on the other hand are curious and bold, and the girls come to the front of the tank to see what's up. The males just do their thing chasing each other out of the rock crevices, but the females are pretty personable. My chili rasboras just hide in the back corner most of the time (useless wee bastages). I don't have neons, though.

Edited by Greg Stewart

So bettas are always a gamble in community setup. It is a gamble in my experience that is more favorable than not.  

Two thoughts and a tip

#1 Typically I like to add the betta last to avoid territory issues.

#2 Neon tetras may fin nip your betta.

TIP:  I personally like to use a clear breeder box for 1 to 2 weeks with the betta to give time for the betta to check out the other fish and to allow the other fish to check out them.  I think it helps, but not 100% certain

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 4:40 AM, Greg Stewart said:

lphineMy harlequins  are skittish, untrusting, ungrateful little turds 😉 They're beautiful, but they panic and hide whenever anyone approaches the tank

Wow mine are oblivious to everything they mull about together  but unless it's BBS they do not react to anything and they do not are about the outside tank world. Funny how different fish can be for different people

• Like 2