Rainbow shiners spawning in quarantine?

David Ellsworth

I was checking on my rainbow shiners today and I think there are eggs on the bottom. They have been in quarantine for about 2.5 weeks. I have kept them at room temp, about 72 F and done frequent water changes about 50% every day or every other day to keep my ammonia levels down. One of them is quite a bit darker than the others, more orange, and several have red highlights in their dorsal fins. 

20201010_140435.jpg.bc9ac50fded70690dcff965e78ac3c4e.jpg

20201010_140006.jpg.1962d2c34f008dd627ad626a24ff9aea.jpg

The little round silica gel looking things are fish eggs? I've only kept live bearers before. I suppose I could collect them and place them in a Lee's specimen container with an airstone? I didn't expect breeding in quarantine.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, David Ellsworth said:

I was checking on my rainbow shiners today and I think there are eggs on the bottom. They have been in quarantine for about 2.5 weeks. I have kept them at room temp, about 72 F and done frequent water changes about 50% every day or every other day to keep my ammonia levels down. One of them is quite a bit darker than the others, more orange, and several have red highlights in their dorsal fins. 

20201010_140435.jpg.bc9ac50fded70690dcff965e78ac3c4e.jpg

20201010_140006.jpg.1962d2c34f008dd627ad626a24ff9aea.jpg

The little round silica gel looking things are fish eggs? I've only kept live bearers before. I suppose I could collect them and place them in a Lee's specimen container with an airstone? I didn't expect breeding in quarantine.

Yes those are eggs! You could totally try to put them in a container with an air stone. I haven’t kept these fish before so I’m not sure how long they incubate, but a quick google could answer that. 

Just put them in the container and set the air stone in there so there is some circulation in the box but don’t put way to much, also replace the water every once and a while.