native inverts!

Hi everyone!

Soon I'm going to get a 5-gallon tank from my grandfather, the tank was gifted to him, but he doesn't have a purpose for it.

I've recently become more interested in inverts, so I decided I would do a native invert 5-gallon. I currently have 2 species that I know I'll be able to collect for the tank once spring comes around, so if you've ever kept these species, or have any information on them period, let me know!

Physella acuta (Bladder Snails)

Amphipoda (Scuds or Amphipods as I call them.)

If you know of any other peaceful, non-larvae inverts that are native to Missouri, let me know as well! Thanks in advance!

Bladder snails I have raised. They need a calcium source to consume. Wonder shell. They are due hards. They will infest waste water treatment plants. Short of medication and copper they survive any conditions. Less food equals less snails. They populate to the amount of available food then when capacity is reached the weaker die back. Hope that helps. Good luck. 

Wow! That sounds like a great idea. I’m in KS and see those critters around the ponds and creeks we fish in. This time of year unfortunately you won’t find much. In Missouri you may need a wildlife collectors permit but you might do some more research. 

If your around the KC area I know a great store in Lawrence (called Pet World) that’s worth the drive. The owner is a big Aquarium Coop (and Corey) fan. They always have lots of (non-native) inverts to browse. 

If your closer to St Louis there’s a good club the Missouri Aquarium Society that might have some folks that can help! 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:24 AM, HydraSlayer said:

Hi everyone!

Soon I'm going to get a 5-gallon tank from my grandfather, the tank was gifted to him, but he doesn't have a purpose for it.

I've recently become more interested in inverts, so I decided I would do a native invert 5-gallon. I currently have 2 species that I know I'll be able to collect for the tank once spring comes around, so if you've ever kept these species, or have any information on them period, let me know!

Physella acuta (Bladder Snails)

Amphipoda (Scuds or Amphipods as I call them.)

If you know of any other peaceful, non-larvae inverts that are native to Missouri, let me know as well! Thanks in advance!

I have 2 tanks that are dedicated to amphipods and snails, and watching the 2 tanks rivals my best "show" tank.

Amphipods are so entertaining!!!