Scientific study on selective breeding in neon tetras

813aquatics

So yesterday I picked up a bunch of gold neon tetras on a whim mostly because I’d never seen that variation in retail, why not right?

Anyways I work graveyard shift and have the day off so naturally here I am at 2:27am deep google searching any documented process on the origin of this color variant. I couldn’t find any specific stuff on selective gold breeding BUT I did come across an excellent scientific article on Red Color Coverage genetic breeding for neons. I think the background info highlighting specifically where the farms are (yay maps), the breeding techniques, and diet/habitat are all pretty interesting, RCC genetic mumbojumbo aside.

Here’s a link:

http://ejournal-balitbang.kkp.go.id/index.php/iaj/article/download/9106/7268

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/20/2022 at 2:33 AM, 813aquatics said:

So yesterday I picked up a bunch of gold neon tetras on a whim mostly because I’d never seen that variation in retail, why not right?

Anyways I work graveyard shift and have the day off so naturally here I am at 2:27am deep google searching any documented process on the origin of this color variant. I couldn’t find any specific stuff on selective gold breeding BUT I did come across an excellent scientific article on Red Color Coverage genetic breeding for neons. I think the background info highlighting specifically where the farms are (yay maps), the breeding techniques, and diet/habitat are all pretty interesting, RCC genetic mumbojumbo aside.

Here’s a link:

http://ejournal-balitbang.kkp.go.id/index.php/iaj/article/download/9106/7268

Ooo!! I love me some shiny science reading. Thank you!

The claim is clear here and here that the color variant was developed through selective breeding.

Now, some info online is misleading. Here an entirely different species is so-called "gold neon." I assume you're referring to the Paracheirodon inessi with a light, pale, golden color pigmentation? Not the Hemmigrammus erythrozonus (also called the "glowlight tetra").

I appreciate the detailed species write up here.

But you're right . . . it is not easy to find a definitive write up. The only clue I got was, "These were bred at a famous fish farm."

My bet is that if you got your LFS to call one of the big farms in FL when placing their next order, and ask, "So . . . do you know which farm first started breeding the Gold Neon Tetras?" they'd probably know.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:49 PM, Fish Folk said:

Ooo!! I love me some shiny science reading. Thank you!

The claim is clear here and here that the color variant was developed through selective breeding.

Now, some info online is misleading. Here an entirely different species is so-called "gold neon." I assume you're referring to the Paracheirodon inessi with a light, pale, golden color pigmentation? Not the Hemmigrammus erythrozonus (also called the "glowlight tetra").

I appreciate the detailed species write up here.

But you're right . . . it is not easy to find a definitive write up. The only clue I got was, "These were bred at a famous fish farm."

My bet is that if you got your LFS to call one of the big farms in FL when placing their next order, and ask, "So . . . do you know which farm first started breeding the Gold Neon Tetras?" they'd probably know.

Yeah I’m referring to the gold variant. The shop I got mine from owns their own farm to breed them in Ruskin, FL apparently.

• Love 1