Looking for a good DC/MD/VA local fish store

MDBuckeye

I live just outside DC in the MD suburbs and just got back in the hobby. I was wondering if anyone in the forum is from the DMV, and has any recommendations for a good local fish store? I know of one in the Rockville, MD area and not really a fan of the store. In the times I visited (knowing this is my experience and may be different for others) but too many tanks had sick/dying fish and the prices always seems high for everything. I know COVID has driven prices up but they appear to have a magic number of 11.99 for fish that are common such as a Panda Cory. I have goggled fish stores but they appear to be at least an hour or more away, and just have not had a chance to take a weekend to drive to check them out. Willing to make the effort if they are highly recommended. 

I have relied on aqua Huna and other online sites, but I would rather buy locally. Plus Aqua Huna makes you buy large quantities of certain fish and my aquarium cannot support adding large volumes at the moment.  

Thanks 

I’m familiar with that store and have the same thoughts, totally not impressed.  I have seen some nice fish at Tropical Lagoon, House of Tropicals has a big selection.   Although  I have lost a few of the fish I bought there over the weekend.  And surprisingly Petco in Frederick seems to take pretty good care of their fish.  Curious what other feedback you get 

KGTropicals is going to release a video on House of Topicals this week. I look forward to watching it before I make the trip to Baltimore, but Tropical Lagoon is only 10 mins away from me. I am going to try them this weekend. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I also found that the Petco in Beltsville, MD to have a good selection for more of the common fish. 

Not in that area but not far off is that pet place in Lancaster pa. It is HUGE. Their plant room is as big as a regular LFS the freshwater has 6 isles stacked and a huge saltwater section. Here are some pictures. They have a ray skate petting pond aviary and reptile room.  Would make a nice little weekend outing. It’s a fun store. 

73318D6A-B046-421E-BC87-EE2DA66A6C6B.jpeg

B1BE5D80-99A6-4792-87A7-4F91FDB04A83.jpeg

DC4A316E-4497-4DFC-983E-28C0CB67C5BA.jpeg

496D662C-06F7-4DA7-ACBA-02FB8F322032.jpeg

59EFE4E1-1377-4485-805F-80CFF5D71463.jpeg

BC6FC0EC-9AB1-44B4-A12B-790A55A1DF84.jpeg

26B550FB-B457-40A2-B898-C25538CD46B8.jpeg

FC324611-D0CB-431C-A359-E746E4A71B14.jpeg

7B0DB5C7-946E-4BD8-A091-F65EF1EA6464.jpeg

• Love 1

I was there right after the holidays after attending a fish swap, it is huge!  Unfortunately stock on fish and plants was so low due to timing.   I’m planning on going back again to see it again….they did have some types of rocks I want to use for aquascaping as well

• Like 1