Daphnia magna for nano fish?

Mandy411

If I were researching this, I’d just splurge and buy some D. magna and see if they hit it.

Here is a table showing the general size difference between D. magna and two others:

A29B3E3A-C02A-4B78-858B-5E4A8991F90A.jpeg.11920ce427804f02e45cd567ad5c6e20.jpeg

For professional feedback, e-mail your question to: aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com

You will get a trustworthy response.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mandy411 said:

Thank you for your reply, and for the table. I'm starting to think the same about just getting them.  Maybe I can find a way to strain out the smaller ones if the adults are too big.

If you keep them in a glass tank, you can selectively draw out smaller ones with a kitchen baster. But if you e never kept daphnia before, beware that the colonies are very prone to crashing. They feed on bio, and require a large enough starter culture to thrive. I’ve heard some people feed them yeast… but I’ve typically just fed them mulm, and finely crushed flake food. I imagine you could squeeze sponge filters out into a daphnia colony tank to feed them. They do appreciate water changes too. Quite finicky…

On 1/20/2022 at 10:46 AM, Fish Folk said:

If you keep them in a glass tank, you can selectively draw out smaller ones with a kitchen baster. But if you e never kept daphnia before, beware that the colonies are very prone to crashing. They feed on bio, and require a large enough starter culture to thrive. I’ve heard some people feed them yeast… but I’ve typically just fed them mulm, and finely crushed flake food. I imagine you could squeeze sponge filters out into a daphnia colony tank to feed them. They do appreciate water changes too. Quite finicky…

Thank you for the heads up. I've only cultured microworms and vinegar eels, but want something a little larger. I also have an unintentional scud population in my shrimp tank that I'll be trying to get rid of soon. If they were a little smaller and didnt eat plants they would be perfect! Little buggers ate all of my mayaca and moss 😞

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, Mandy411 said:

Thank you for the heads up. I've only cultured microworms and vinegar eels, but want something a little larger. I also have an unintentional scud population in my shrimp tank that I'll be trying to get rid of soon. If they were a little smaller and didnt eat plants they would be perfect! Little buggers ate all of my mayaca and moss 😞

Scuds are great live food for certain fish! Sorry to hear about your mayaca and moss though . . .

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1