Sick fish not responding to medication

Danny LeVeck

I have Corys that occasionally get s fungus infection.  This one got one and I wasn't able to monitor them frequently, so I didn't see it until it was pretty bad.  Usually I catch it early.  I have medicated them before and it always goes away, but this one isn't getting better with medication.  I used to use Tetra Fungus Guard, but that no longer seems to be available.  I'm presently using Jungle Fungus Clear and have done two doses so far (two days into the second dose) and still not getting better.  Any advice?

Sick Fish.jpg

I personally have always preferred Methylene blue to other anti fungal treatments. It might be worth a shot if you can't source other antifungals. I will add that times where I have successfully treated fungus with methylene blue was in cases that were a lot less severe then your's. I hope you find a solution. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

I personally have always preferred Methylene blue to other anti fungal treatments. It might be worth a shot if you can't source other antifungals. I will add that times where I have successfully treated fungus with methylene blue was in cases that were a lot less severe then your's. I hope you find a solution. 

Okay, thank you.  What brand do you use?  I see one that is by Kardon?

I have to apologize I dont remember the brand. I kinda just bought a big bottle and poured it into a few different amber droppers... It looks like the kordon one would do the trick. There are a few ways to treat the fish keep in mind that the methylene blue will harm plants and stain whatever it touches. Some like to add the blue to an aquarium. I prefer the "fish bath" method where you catch the fish in a net place the fish with aquarium water in a non metal container(don't use water conditioner). Then you add the proper dosage of the methylene blue which should be around 50ppm. Now comes the tricky part if you do opt for this method it can be very successful. But because of the high concentration you should put the fish in in container for no more then 9 seconds. After that you can return the fish to whichever tank it was in before. You can research other methods online but that's what has worked for me. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

I have to apologize I dont remember the brand. I kinda just bought a big bottle and poured it into a few different amber droppers... It looks like the kordon one would do the trick. There are a few ways to treat the fish keep in mind that the methylene blue will harm plants and stain whatever it touches. Some like to add the blue to an aquarium. I prefer the "fish bath" method where you catch the fish in a net place the fish with aquarium water in a non metal container(don't use water conditioner). Then you add the proper dosage of the methylene blue which should be around 50ppm. Now comes the tricky part if you do opt for this method it can be very successful. But because of the high concentration you should put the fish in in container for no more then 9 seconds. After that you can return the fish to whichever tank it was in before. You can research other methods online but that's what has worked for me. 

Okay, thank you 🙂

• Like 1

Methylene blue can harm you benefial bacterial I would only use in a bath you can use ick x to treat fungal infection I would finish your course of jungal fungus clear fizz tabs and then treat with ick x if there no improvement if you getting regular out breaks of fungal infection then something else could be going on  such as stress poor water quality or nutrition weakening  their immune system making then more susceptible 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1