Stocking ideas for a pygmy cory tank

Lexi B

I love pygmy cories, but i've decided that they are a bad match up for my 30 gallon stocking ideas, so I'm moving them into a 10 gal. I'd be fine with having a pygmy only tank, but i think it would be fun to have a top swimmer in as well.

Some things I've considered are (Not all at once, obviously):

• 1 Honey gourami
  • 3-4 scarlet badis. (one male-2/3 female)
  • A suitable group of CPDs for the tank
  • A pair of betta imbellis. (Probably would put in a 20 instead if I managed to get these)

I won't be stocking it any time soon, but these are some things I was considering. I'd love some suggestions or critiques for stocking, since it's really about my cories and what's best for them.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:05 PM, Guppysnail said:

I keep celestial pearl danio and shrimp with my pygmy. They swim together. 

Ooh that sounds cute. Mine used to be kept with ember tetras and seemed to enjoy swimming around with them. 

I figured if I went that route, I'd do a low light set up since they're all so shy. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think Pygmy Corydoras would fit in well with your stocking. They have a small bioload and take up very little swimming space. I feel like I need to have some sort of Corydoras in all my tanks. 

I would, but I want to keep angels or a species of ram in my 30 and am concerned they might become lunch 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:05 AM, drewzero1 said:

I had pygmys with endlers and honey gouramis in my 20 long for a few months. They seemed like a good size match and didn't mess with each other. (My dad now has the honeys and cories in a more heavily planted tank, and reports seeing a catfish occasionally.)

Before the tank was destroyed, these pygmy's were in a 20 long with a Betta and ember tetras. So pretty similar! 

They're definitely one of those "easter egg" fish where you wouldn't see them for ages and then one day you'd see the whole group out for a swim.