Flow

JoeQ

Does anyone have any good resources on flow? Particularly one that explains different intake/output configurations and its affect on flow. Im kind of in a tight spot, I have an angelfish so im trying to keep my flow low, at the same time I need to improve it for better nutrient distribution. 

I’m not sure if this is helpful, but in my 75gal I have a HOB and a powerhead with a fan shaped diverter angled towards the glass. I haven’t managed to eliminate absolutely every dead zone but I do have decent flow to almost every part of the tank. I mitigate the flow from the HOB by managing water level and using filter floss on the spillway. The fan shaped diverter allows me to adjust the flow on the powerhead. I’m able to keep it at a level that’s comfortable for my tiny K class guppies. To make sure I get good nutrient distribution I dose liquid fertilizer into both flow streams. 

• Like 2

Funny you should mention that, I was planning on adding a small powerhead, in the meantime I had to deal with a bad case of  protein film first, so I used an old bulky surface skimmer..... In the course of skimming, I discovered the ehiem 350 which small enough to leave in tank, solving both problems and the inspiration for this post. 😂tr

Patrick: thanks for that, but without a picture its hard to imagine. I do also use a sponge on my output to defuse the force

Edited by JoeQ
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, JoeQ said:

In the course of skimming, I discovered the ehiem 350 which small enough to leave in tank, solving both problems and the inspiration for this post. 😂tr

I’ve been looking at those too. It’s looks like a great skimmer and I’ve seen people take the top off and use it as a tiny power filter for shallow tanks. 

Petsmart, they are on sale for 32 bucks. You can buy in the store, show them the online price and they will honer it in store. I also got the coral life timed powerstrip that way, its usually 45 bucks, but got it for 20 on account of the online sale

• Like 1