Feeding angelfish beef heart

Guppy Guy

I have heard about some people feeding their angelfish beef heart, but I don’t know how to do it. Do I need to defrost it(it is frozen) like I would with frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp? Or do I just drop a piece in the tank?

My LFS said that they would defrost it like frozen bloodworms, but they had never tried it. I would prefer to have an answer from someone who feed this on a daily basis, though all opinions and pointers are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have angelfish, but I don't feed beef heart.

You would need to defrost it and cut it into pieces small enough for the angels to eat.

I know some people feed beef heart to discus, but I have never heard of it being fed to angels. Angels will eat most anything and they can be healthy and breed without beef heart. 

But go ahead and let us know how it goes!

I know a lot of discus keepers feed a beef heart mixture to their discus, and I have in the past. Now, I don't feed any beef heart to my discus or any other fish. Mine all get brine shrimp and bloodworms. As for how to feed beef heart, you don't just cut a chuck of the heart off and throw it in the tank, it has to be prepared for the fish, grind it, and mixed with other ingredients, then frozen and then break chunks off and feed. A good LFS and even some of the big box pet stores will have with their frozen foods a beef heart food, I believe its Hikari makes one. 

I keep both angelfish and discus right now and don't feed beef heart. I feed more in line what they would feed on in nature, worms, bugs, other things that live in the water. They would never come across a beef heart in wild. Now granted, they wouldn't come across a brine shrimp either, but its a lot closer to something they would down in the Amazon area than the heart of a cow. 

• Like 1

Update: 

I had some time this morning to get the beef heart and everything, and after defrosting under the tap(like I do with frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms), I hand fed it to my angelfish. They didn’t really go for it, probably because I don’t usually hand feed, and they were afraid of the tweezers. The first time I fed them brine shrimp, they didn’t go for it either, but after I tried a few times, the brine shrimp is clearly their favorite food. I’ll give the beef heart a few more goes this week.

Something kind of funny that happened was the zebra danios in the tank. They kind of swooped in, grabbed a bite of heart, and zoomed off. The guppies did something similar, so I dropped what was left in a guppy tank, and they seem to like it.