Trying to figure out a well rounded diet for Apistogramma Agassizii's

DannyC

So I am preparing a tank that is going to have ~20 rummynose tetra's and a pair of apisto agassizii's. I bought the baby brine shrimp from co-op, but I am pretty sure I need more than just that to feed these fish. Will Hikari micro pellets be enough to fill out their diet? Also, how often do apisto's need live food? Is a couple times a week ok, every other day or maybe less? And, should I get the brine shrimp hatcher that co-op sells on the site? Is that over kill for the small amount I would need to hatch for feeding?

As a cichlid particularly an apistogramma they like a high protein diet they are micro predators eating small copepods and insects. There is no better rabbit hole to jump down then apistogramma habitat videos! Here’s one 

Most root through leaves and detritus to find their meals.  Hikari makes a good pellet, Extreme does too as well as the krill flake, something with spirulina once a week to help digestion, and the brine shrimp will keep them very regular. Tubifex worms frozen may also be a nice addition to their diet as a treat. 

Enjoy! Apistogramma have outsized personalities and rummy’s wow nothing beats a beautiful schooler! 

I picked up the JBL artemo  hatcher on ebay its basically the same as the one at aco but smaller as I only have one tank to feed. I still freeze the some from each hatch but which are handy.  I got loads of tips on brine shrimp from here  before I started  (link below ) 

oh and my apisto's do eat various pellets hikari vibra bites and mirco pellets not so much the wafers but the corys are pretty formidable at feeding time.  I feed brine shrimp once or twice a week.