Close to cycling, need feedback for next steps

Preyhunter

I'm at a conversion rate of 1ppm ammonia/day and have been for a couple of weeks.  Nitrites always at 2ppm.  I left ammonia at 0 for 24 hours and nitrites did not change. I thought my nitrite number would decrease after depleting ammonia, but it didn't. Ammonia conversion rate did not change when I started adding it back after leaving it at 0, still at 1ppm/day.  Nitrates have slowly climbed over time but been at 20 for a while.  I'll test all 3 params tomorrow to see where I'm sitting.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:59 PM, Preyhunter said:

I'm at a conversion rate of 1ppm ammonia/day and have been for a couple of weeks.  Nitrites always at 2ppm.  I left ammonia at 0 for 24 hours and nitrites did not change. I thought my nitrite number would decrease after depleting ammonia, but it didn't. Ammonia conversion rate did not change when I started adding it back after leaving it at 0, still at 1ppm/day.  Nitrates have slowly climbed over time but been at 20 for a while.  I'll test all 3 params tomorrow to see where I'm sitting.

The bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate are always slower to establish.  I do think you’re getting there.

• Like 1

Ammonia: .25

Nitrites: see pic

Nitrates: 80+

Time for a water change. What does it look like the nitrites are in the pic?

I think I'm about there. Nitrates shot up way high in a short time. Need to see what happens after the water change.

20220119_094953.jpg

Edited by Preyhunter

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I've read in other places that high concentrations of these things are adverse to bacteria growth (basically poisoning the ability of the bacteria to multiply and in some cases kill them).

Can anyone comment on that being true and/or if that might be the case here?

On 1/19/2022 at 10:13 AM, Preyhunter said:

Ammonia: .25

Nitrites: see pic

Nitrates: 80+

Time for a water change. What does it look like the nitrites are in the pic?

I think I'm about there. Nitrates shot up way high in a short time. Need to see what happens after the water change.

20220119_094953.jpg

I’m old and I need the light to be hitting straight through the tube onto the card with no shadow for me to be accurate.  You can also take the cap off and look down through the tube if you’re not sure about the color (suggestion in their own directions).

Nitrites and nitrates popping up is a good sign that your BB’s are building up!  Water change, add your ammonia and see what tomorrow brings.  I’m getting excited for you!  You’re so close!

@jwcarlson You are correct, but they have to be VERY high to be a problem and I don’t think @Preyhunter is at that level.  I don’t remember the numbers, but someone has them posted somewhere (vague enough for you? 😉🤷🏻‍♀️), and I remember thinking they were whopping high!

• Like 1

Did the water change, going to do more tests when I get a chance.  I don't guess it really matters what that nitrite reading was since I will be testing again soon.  I will dose ammonia after testing today, then test again tomorrow and maybe do a few more water changes over the coming days to handle the nitrates.  I SHOULD be good to go soon I suspect.

• Like 1