Acrylic Aquarium Repair Advise

Jorgey

HI All,

I’ve always kept glass aquariums but over the weekend found a great deal (hopefully) on a 135-gallon acrylic aquarium.  It’s pretty dusty as the guy selling it was remodeling his basement and there is sawdust and drywall dust all over it, inside and out.  So, it needs good cleaning and to polished up a little.

135G_LI.jpg.5e27bf18b7d48b4aa8b4ac7049e1378e.jpg

After getting it home, I’ve started checking everything a little closer to see what I need to do to get it all ready and discovered some micro cracks in what appears to be the bottom seam between the bottom panel and right sidewall at the back.  You can see in the image above where it is circled in yellow.

1014398359_135GMicroCracksBottom.jpg.acee39f6cc475a08c568e32d53b61c5d.jpg

Bottom View

2137312952_135GMicroCracksSide.jpg.7a35bca95695b990ba715ee457269427.jpg

Side View

Any advise on the best way to repair this?  I assume that it should be repaired before it gets worse, right?  I don’t want to end up with 135 gallons of water on the floor and dead fish.  I’ve seen people take extremely small needles and inject glue into little cracks in acrylic, but not sure if it will work in this case or if something else needs to be done.  Any advise on how to take care of this would be appreciated.

Also, looking for the best place to get great high quality bulkhead fittings and parts.  This is my first drilled tank as well, so not too familiar with those parts or where to get them.  I plan on building a sump out of a 55-gallon aquarium and hoping that it will all turn out great and last a long time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Jorgey

I don’t know about the tank repair part, but for the bulkheads, I’ve heard bulk reef supply is pretty good. Even though it is for reef tanks, their bulkhead selection is really good. Amazon also has a few choices, but theirs are pretty limited.

I know that @Cory has used acrylic tanks before, as well as cut one in half to make a sump,  but I don’t know if he has repaired them. 

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...