Cycle + quarantine

Karen B.

I had to leave for 2 weeks & a friend of mine came regularly to check on the fish. One of the feeder malfunctionned and emptied a lot of food in the tank - It looks like it snowed in the tank! 🤪

F8769F51-0F18-463C-A9C7-C153B50B6856.jpeg.dfd24de4d336d0701ba21a1e273fcea8.jpeg

I was using the 10 gallons tank to quarantine 5 chili Rasboras and their time was done so my friend just moved the fish away.

I am back home. To my biggest surprise, the parameters are fine, no ammonia. I still removed all the decor and plants and syphonned (way too much) about 95% of the water. Yet there is still debris but I am ok with it - will help fertilize the plants/bacteria.
I also serviced the HOB filter and the air sponge filter (so I did everything people say not to) in the aquarium water.

I filled it back, put the plants and decor back. My problem is that I learned I am getting my 12 new chili Rasboras in a few hours. As its my quarantine tank, they are meant to go there. But I am afraid I may have messed up my cycle or that it won’t be able to keep up once I add the trio meds/fish.

I treat my water with prime and stability. I will be using the aquarium coop trio med. I also have a bottle of fritz 7.

I plan on adding the fish, the med trio and test everyday. Should I use the fritz 7 right away no matter what or just wait and see what happens?

Any other advice or ideas to make sure I don’t kill my fish in quarantine because of my dodgy cycle?

• Like 1

@Karen B.Agree with @Aaron S, you could use the Fritz 7 as a supplement never a bad thing when adding fish but nothing beats cycled media. The overfeeding just got you a bloom of your biome, pretty much proved you've cycled as it seems that there was sufficient beneficial bacteria to absorb it. Of course you'll need to watch things like a hawk - if you have a test kit or strips check daily or if you see funny behavior from the fish test. 

• Like 1