Crypt Stem Elongated / Segments

@Struggle; I believe what you are calling a stem is actually a rhizome, it looks as if the plant, where it meets the "stem" is trying to change directions. Try placing the "stem" in the gravel with the rhizome buried just under the surface, but leave the leaves above the surface, and then wait to see what happens, you may see new plants growing through the gravel from the rhizomes, my Crypts grow in this manner. Try this with one plant to start, if I'm right, you can place others in the gravel in this manner, but if I'm wrong, then you've only lost one plant. By looking at your Lotus, it seems as if your plants have a nutrient deficiency, use one capful of Seachem Iron supplement and 15 drops of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive plant ferts each week. Good luck.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 4

On 1/2/2022 at 9:31 PM, Gator said:

@Struggle; I believe what you are calling a stem is actually a rhizome, it looks as if the plant, where it meets the "stem" is trying to change directions. Try placing the "stem" in the gravel with the rhizome buried just under the surface, but leave the leaves above the surface, and then wait to see what happens, you may see new plants growing through the gravel from the rhizomes, my Crypts grow in this manner. Try this with one plant to start, if I'm right, you can place others in the gravel in this manner, but if I'm wrong, then you've only lost one plant. By looking at your Lotus, it seems as if your plants have a nutrient deficiency, use one capful of Seachem Iron supplement and 15 drops of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive plant ferts each week. Good luck.

Sincerely

Gator

Thanks Gator, I’ll give it a try!

I’ve recently started seeing this in a few of my older Crypts.  @Gatoris right.  This is actually a rhizome but unlike other rhizomatous plants, this is a rhizome you can bury like Gator suggested.  The other thing to consider is that your Crypts are likely reaching for more light.

There is variability between different species and between different varieties, but most will lay flatter if they’re getting good light, and reach up taller if the light isn’t as strong.  I’ve also found they will tend to grow more of this “stem” if the light isn’t as strong as they prefer.  If you don’t like the look of them growing like this, you might try turning up the light intensity if your light has adjustments, or increasing the duration a little.  You’ll have to be on guard against algae if you increase the light either way.

• Like 2