Vacation need advice

Josh333

So in next week going on vacation and I have a 40 gal community tank that I'm pretty sure they'll be fine for the week without feeding them. But I do have a 5 gal with over 40 cpd fry. The fry is a little more than a month old. Any advice?

I agree the community aquarium will be fine. Unfortunately, in my experience fry need food daily to stay alive. Unless they are in a green water aquarium, I doubt any would survive a week without food.  How large are the fry and what are you currently feeding them?

On 1/2/2022 at 2:07 PM, T. Payne said:

I agree the community aquarium will be fine. Unfortunately, in my experience fry need food daily to stay alive. Unless they are in a green water aquarium, I doubt any would survive a week without food.  How large are the fry and what are you currently feeding them?

First bites, BBS, and bug bites. There is quite a bit of micro life in the tank right now. They are old enough to hunt seen them even spar

On 1/2/2022 at 4:31 PM, Josh333 said:

So in next week going on vacation and I have a 40 gal community tank that I'm pretty sure they'll be fine for the week without feeding them. But I do have a 5 gal with over 40 cpd fry. The fry is a little more than a month old. Any advice?

You could split the difference and pay a petsitter or neighbor to come feed/check on them twice during the week, so they'd only be going 36-48 hours without being fed.

When I went out of town I had newborn guppy fry so I left First Bites and the teeny tiny spoon that came with some old betta treats and just had my sitter give one spoon per tank every second day.  I figured biofilm, algae, etc would hold them over. I had too many to count, so I can't say for sure there were no losses, but there did not appear to be any.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, T. Payne said:

If they are big enough to eat dry food now, you could always get an auto feeder and dial it in now before you leave town.

Actually ordered one and I'm going to test with crushed up flakes see how that goes

Edited by Josh333