Dwarf Lily, Java Fern, and Valisneria

Hello all. Just looking for a little help with some of the plants I bought I bought from Aquarium Co Op. While my Anubias Barteri and Anubis Goldens are doing well and showing fast new grow, my Java Fern, and Vallisneria don’t look to good. I’m not sure if this is normal and I just have to wait a couple months for progress, or if I’m slowly killing them somehow. The Dwarf Lily hasn’t  sprouted yet or grown roots. Just a thin bio film of white stuff. I have turned it over once a week. But it’s only been about two weeks. The Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus seems to be doing okay as well. I also bought Anubias coffeefolia (I really love the Anubias species) but it came in a bit damaged. Any advice would be helpful. The pictures show the growth of the Barteri and Goldens. They also show the damaged Coffeefolia and the not so good Java’s and Valls. I also included the crypts and the Pogostemon tho they haven’t changed much. The Sword doesn’t look to be doing too well either.

75 gallon aquarium 

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: about 20 ppm

No fish yet.

Fluval 3.0 Planted LED: approx 8 hours per day

FX6 filtration

eco complete (red)

Fairly hard water 

pH: 7.6

dKH: 8

GH: 214.8

83C9E5EA-1D02-4BC8-B7FA-BD19DA38EC5B.jpeg

52A7B77B-193D-4D75-84F3-9B8C9104FABA.jpeg

7F12CE3F-57B3-4C8A-BA5B-76CD5DCDC123.jpeg

FF091068-AC3C-4F8F-A37F-D7976B054540.jpeg

FFB484C9-0F78-4A54-9609-C2CE53E3C7BE.jpeg

59D4660F-35B2-48CD-A534-546210DD3D6B.jpeg

C5E0592D-4FFD-449D-AF09-3186056BCAD7.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi,

I would start by dosing some Easy Green, and would look for some fish to add. It looks like you are low on nutrients.

The Dwarf Lily can take some time to perk up and shoot out new growth. Give it a few weeks on that side, and then try flipping it over again. If it still shows no signs of growth, it may just be a dud. The white film is normal.

For the Val and Java Fern, wait a few more weeks. Val can take a few weeks to adjust to your water, and when it does, you will see it send out new leaves and runners. The Java Fern is a relatively slow grower, and likes high potassium, which Easy Green has. 

The Coffeefolia will bounce back up, albeit slowly (anubias are slow growers). If it doesn't, don't hesitate to contact the Co-Op. They'll make everything right!

The sword is a heavy root feeder, so I would add root tabs.

Overall, these are things that newly planted plants face, and you're doing great! Just add some fish and fertilizers, and the tank will keep progressing!

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mridul Singh said:

Hi,

I would start by dosing some Easy Green, and would look for some fish to add. It looks like you are low on nutrients.

The Dwarf Lily can take some time to perk up and shoot out new growth. Give it a few weeks on that side, and then try flipping it over again. If it still shows no signs of growth, it may just be a dud. The white film is normal.

For the Val and Java Fern, wait a few more weeks. Val can take a few weeks to adjust to your water, and when it does, you will see it send out new leaves and runners. The Java Fern is a relatively slow grower, and likes high potassium, which Easy Green has. 

The Coffeefolia will bounce back up, albeit slowly (anubias are slow growers). If it doesn't, don't hesitate to contact the Co-Op. They'll make everything right!

The sword is a heavy root feeder, so I would add root tabs.

Overall, these are things that newly planted plants face, and you're doing great! Just add some fish and fertilizers, and the tank will keep progressing!

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the awesome feedback! I forgot to mention that I did start dosing the Easy Green about one week ago! But I have no added the root tabs just yet! I wasn’t sure if the eco complete substrate needed the root tabs yet but your knowledge vary exceeds mine! I’ll add some tabs for the root growers! I sincerely appreciate the advice! The Dwarf lily has my frustrated cause I was really hoping for it to sprout haha! I just got the Java Moss in which I’ll apply to the wood or I might just let it hang out in the tank until I’m ready to use it. Not sure yet. I also the Red Melon Sword so I’m definitely looking forward to those as well! I’ll be getting some fish this weekend. I was wanting to start with a small colony of shrimp variants. Then the following week or two add a school of Pygmy Corydoras. Their food just came in too. All I need is a heater. Thank you again, Mridul Singh! 💜

Glad to help! And my knowledge does not exceed yours, since your tank can be leaps and bounds different from any other persons'. We all have things to learn, and we can only learn if we share our experiences.

I would add the shrimp last of anything you put, so that there is enough biofilm (algae, dead leaves, that slimy stuff that grows on rocks, etc) for them to feed on.

Good luck!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mridul Singh said:

Glad to help! And my knowledge does not exceed yours, since your tank can be leaps and bounds different from any other persons'. We all have things to learn, and we can only learn if we share our experiences.

I would add the shrimp last of anything you put, so that there is enough biofilm (algae, dead leaves, that slimy stuff that grows on rocks, etc) for them to feed on.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! 🙏🏽 So kind! I couldn’t ask for better advice! And okay sounds good! I’ll add in some other fish first! Makes complete sense! Thank you again and have an awesome day! 💜🤞🏽