Planted Aquarium GH and KH

I have had a couple of planted aquariums set up for a few years now with easy plants like anubias, Java fern, and unfortunately duckweed. (For now. I'll win that battle eventually.) I have had an issue in the past with plants like Amazon swords, cabomba, and some crypts melting no matter what tank I put them in. I have never tested my GH or KH and just happened to pick up a test that tests for GH and KH. While my GH sits between 30-60 ppm, my KH is through the roof! The maximum the kit tests for is 240 ppm and it's definitely reading that. Though my guppies do great I am concerned that this may be what is causing the melt on some other plants. I want to set up a mid-high light tank and advance in my plant keeping. Should I try and bring the KH down with RO water? Could this even be what could be causing the plants to melt?

I'm on a well and dosing flourish as well as dosing added potassium as my water/ground tends to be deficient in it. When I had the crypts and amazon sword I was using eco complete as the substrate (as well as a well fed guppy horde) to fertilize my root feeders so I don't think it was a nutrient difficiency.

pH 8.0

Any thoughts and tips are much appreciated. 

• Like 1

It was a young tank at the time so I truthfully didn't think about it at the time. I had figured between the eco complete, water column dosing, and such a heavy load it would be enough.

It unfortunately had a catastrophic break and I never did get a chance to play with it to see what might work. I sure do miss that tank. 40 gallons of water on the floor is never fun. I've never caught fish so fast in my life. 😅

Knowing the kh of your tap water also, would give a better insight, but on face value of high tank kh id remove any oyster shells/crush coral, ect, and replace them with numerous pieces of wood. That or place peat in your filter to lower your kh naturally. Of course then test regularly and watch for changes, remove or add pieces as needed. I'd stay away from options such chemicals/vinegar, these options imo should only be used in emergencies. 

I've had driftwood in my two current tanks for about 4 years. Both are "blackwater" style tanks. I haven't tested tap but I assume it is about the same if not higher. I'll test it to double check though. I don't run anything in the tanks for a buffer. Funnily enough my house sits about 100 yards from peat ground. 😅

Edited by KobaBetta