How do I handle tap water PH changes?

Jim TN

My water utility says my water has an average PH of 7.84. Several months ago I tested my tap water and it was 7.8. Two weeks ago, my test showed it was 7.4. Today, it was 7.2. Also, my KH was about 40 when the PH tested 7.8 which matches the water quality report. When my PH test was 7.4, my KH was about 60.

I have learned the hard lesson to not chase PH. But how do I deal with such large changes in my tap water? I am now using crushed coral, which I think is a good thing, but I don't think it can manage such big swings in water parameters.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I never check my tap water for pH.  I guess I could to see.  I've been doing water changes with only adding Prime for over 25 years with no issues.  If you are really concerned, check your tap water and do water changes when the tap pH is close to the tank pH.

• Like 2

If you're doing partial water changes (about 25% to 30%) when you change your aquarium water, it really shouldn't affect your fish at all. It'd be a gradual change in parameters that way and hardly any different than what they're accustomed to. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That said, my municipal water swings from an extreme GH of 0-1 to a GH of 12 depending on the well/aquifer we draw from throughout the year, and when my GH drops I just add some wondershells to my tanks to maintain some mineral content.