Is this phosphate or iron issues?

I know I need to get the phosphate test kit but it’s on order now. This plant was fine a couple weeks ago but noticed 3-4 days ago that leaf going yellow and overnight it went from yellow to melting away. The second pic is of another one and that’s what it looked like a few days ago.

I have a 29 and dosing with thrive-c at 10 pumps and 3 tablespoons of gh booster for calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Also using prime and stability to get the nitrite cycle back to normal and changing 25-30% water a day. I dosed thrive last night and haven’t changed the water since. 

The other pic is of the Mayaca Vandelli. My old stuff died off so I got some more and it’s going from light green to yellow now from top to bottom with the tips turning a little brown now. 

Water quality

temp- 78° 

ph - 7.2

ammonia - .75 - 1

Nitrite - .25

Nitrate - 10-15 (goes to 20 through the day)

Gh - 9-10

KH - 2

56095BC6-26AB-4923-927D-EF1FBCAE0DB4.jpeg

78E45700-4D12-4FF5-951D-F9E62B4926B8.jpeg

24753594-DEDA-4223-85BB-CD8BCD9D9494.jpeg.7e1f4899b83c62919c07c80132e0ff3a.jpeg

74D0BF4A-B7C0-4915-9064-E51F35CF903D.jpeg.c3993fdcf709affb72788ee2471eb621.jpeg

Edited by lmhicks101

Thrive C seems to be their leaner option. It definitely has less NO3 in it, as well as the others. With so many frequent water changes, I would dose the incoming water per the instructions. So if you are changing 10 gallons, only dose the amount for 10 gallons. This should keep things more stable. With your live stock, I would not dose GH booster at all. 7-8dGH is plenty, and I would let the Thrive do the rest of the work. If you can, dose the 10 gallons, let it mix, and then test just the 10 gallons for Nitrates, see what you get.

I appreciate it. I use the python no spill directly to faucet to take out and add back. I’ll start trying that. The bottle says to dose 1-2 times a week at 1 pump per 5 gallons and to change 25-30% water. 

I’ll hold off on the water changes to once a week unless the ammonia goes over 1 ppm and keep using 3 ml of prime and 1 1/2 caps of stability every other day until it recycles. 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:16 PM, lmhicks101 said:

I appreciate it. I use the python no spill directly to faucet to take out and add back. I’ll start trying that. The bottle says to dose 1-2 times a week at 1 pump per 5 gallons and to change 25-30% water. 

I’ll hold off on the water changes to once a week unless the ammonia goes over 1 ppm and keep using 3 ml of prime and 1 1/2 caps of stability every other day until it recycles. 

If you are confident that the prime works, that should be fine. If you do need to change water, do as above. 

I think the thrive c is about half of regular thrive. 1 pump per 10 gallons is 1.1ppm PO4, so you very well may be low on PO4. Probably others too. I messaged Nilocg for the per ppm dosing information. I'd imagine they will get back to me tomorrow. I will update you when/if they get back to me.

Edited by Mmiller2001

On 12/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, lmhicks101 said:

Thank you for the help. I’m curious if I can dose higher and when this is out I think I’m switching to the macro and micro 2 bottles. Thrive -C definitely worked great until my tank went belly up but I wanna make sure my tank gets what it needs. 

Imo, the more control you can have on individual components, the better the tank gets.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, lmhicks101 said:

So would you recommend the macro and micro or something else? I’ll eventually do C02 and dry fert but that’s a bit to much to get into just yet. 

Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go! That's a good start. That will give you a bit of control. If you really want to get into nutrients, I would recommend dry fertilizers.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 7:51 PM, lmhicks101 said:

Okay thank you for the help. Do you know a good resource to study up about this? Like a good YouTuber or blog? 

Dosing information is pretty scarce on YouTube, but I would research Estimative Index dosing. This is mostly geared around CO2 tanks, but still applies to all planted tanks. All you do is reduce the total ppm some while maintaining the same ratios.

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/threads/estimative-index-dosing-guide.15225/

https://barrreport.com/threads/the-estimative-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits.52/

Tom Barr invented this method.

This guy has tons of information.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

@Mmiller2001 well I have a new development. My Anubis Nana just bloomed. I read that this happens when the tank is well established and phosphates are a bit high. So completely counter to how everything else in the tank is acting. It sprouted the stem for the flower last week and I thought it was going to be a long leaf but bloomed today.