Hydra Outbreak, Cause for Concern?

StockEwe49

Hi all, recently I have noticed a HUGE population of hydra in my planted 55 gallon tank. The stocking list is below. My main question is: Is this a cause for concern, and if so is the best way of getting rid of them to stop feeding small food? (Without using de-wormer since it will kill snails)

Stocking List:
1 Yoyo loach
3 Amano Shrimp
Mutt Guppies
1 BN LF lemon Blue Eye pleco 
1 mystery snail
A lot of ramshorn/pond snails!

Also I am planning on doing a journal this week for this tank 🙂 !

No reason for concern. I have them in all my tanks only ever see them when I feed fry consistently with BBS. cut out powder and Bbs for two-three  weeks they will start to cyst up. Unless you have a terrific microfauna population then they may persist but will control your micro fauna. I even have them with neo shrimp and CPD fry newly hatched. I’ve never noticed it interfering with the population. It’s a natural part of ecosystems my guppy girls eat it, but they try to eat anything and everything so 😂

Edited by Guppysnail

On 12/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

No reason for concern. I have them in all my tanks only ever see them when I feed fry consistently with BBS. cut out powder and Bbs for two-three  weeks they will start to cyst up. Unless you have a terrific microfauna population then they may persist but will control your micro fauna. I even have them with neo shrimp and CPD fry newly hatched. I’ve never noticed it interfering with the population. It’s a natural part of ecosystems my guppy girl eat it, but they try to eat anything and every so 😂

Ok thanks, I was thinking some people say they may be a danger to fry but I figured the guppies would eat them anyway, maybe I am keeping them too well fed! 🙂 

• Like 1