Question about Fritz Clarifier making fish uncomfortable?

Radar

So, I don’t use clarifiers usually as I’d always rather fix the reason for the discolored/milky water than apply a quick fix. However, after having two days of slightly hazy water, I decided to try the clarifier to rectify the situation. Water parameters are perfect as usual, and this 36 gallon Bow Front has a Cascade 1500 (yes, you read that correctly) filter. At work, we over filter all our tanks on top of straight spring fed water flowing through all that for the sockeyes so I’m a firm believer in over filtration. I do my water changes faithfully every Sunday at 30% and clean gravel in sections, all the right stuff. After doing a partial media change on the filter two days ago, this hazy water thing was going away but not as quickly as usual hence the clarifier use. Cleaned the water up within one hour to pristine! Works great! Question is for you all, have any of you noticed the fish acting a bit “weird” for a few minutes (say 15 minutes) after using this? They’re not distressed, not gasping at the surface, nothing too crazy. Just all the different tetras school up as do the gouramis and even Mabel my betta buddy came out and tapped on the glass like “WTH?” I would expect the Cardinal Tetras to be affected the most as they’re so sensitive anyway but it’s everyone in the tank. Even the Cory’s and they’re usually not phased by anything except me being late to feed them. Everyone is fine but it’s almost as if they’re getting away from whatever the clarifier is doing to clear the water.. Again, nothing I’m too worried about, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Oh, and it wasn’t like the water was so cloudy that the sudden clearing made them freak, just slightly hazy which was bothering me more than the finned friends obviously.. lol

Thanks in advance!

@PineSong @FlumpweeselThanks for the responses y'all.. I think that may be the case that it must taste funny.. that makes sense. They’re back to normal after just a few minutes. It’s just a bit more “excitement” than not getting fed, but not too much more.. They schooled up pretty tight tho but it only lasts for 10-15 minutes.. and it doesn’t seem like it was causing breathing issues or irritating their gills or eyes that I could tell. They just sort of acted like they were trying to avoid it maybe… And everyone is just fine this morning..

@xXInkedPhoenixX did you try re dosing after 6 hours like it recommended? Just wondering as one dose did really clear the haze right up and it’s still looks clear as a bell this morning.. I’m happy with the results and I don’t think it hurt any of the critters. It was just enough of a response out of them to ask on here what may be going on and others’ experiences with it. Thanks again yall. I appreciate it! Looks like I may have to give it a taste…! 🤔

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 3:57 AM, Radar said:

did you try re dosing after 6 hours like it recommended? Just wondering as one dose did really clear the haze right up and it’s still looks clear as a bell this morning

You know I did a couple of times but I don't remember being wowed by the results. Maybe I just didn't have the kind of particles that this would usually help. Maybe I got a bad bottle? Not even sure.