Mysterious White Pooka Dot Fungus/bacteria on substrate/banana plant/wood? What to do??

Algaefishowl

• Administrators

Did you recently add something in the aquarium like a piece of drift wood? Or, have you had excess food waste in the tank? You can probably vacuum it up, loosening it with an old tooth brush while vacuuming. You could also treat the tank with something like Maracyn if you are concerned, as it is effective against many bacterias and fungal outbreaks. 

Hello thank you for your response and insight. I believe it could have begun as food waste; it started in the section that I add food to the tank. It has since spread to the whole floor and creeps up the wood. All the wood was boiled beforehand and isn't new. After your comment I vacuumed but the next day it presented itself in a similar manner (little effect on overall appearance). I have removed the banana plant. I'm waiting for the Maracyn to be delivered to test its effect.

Had same thing not as bad.  Figuredout it was old food turned white with age.  My tanks set on floor, so I got a piece of 1/2" clear tubing about 5' long. I just hold one end in mouth and other end I take short inhales to pull junk off bottom and move on, you just have to watch the dirty water in tube so you don't swallow any. I did this a couple of times and it looked good again. Good luck.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:44 PM, Mr. Hollywood said:

Had same thing not as bad.  Figuredout it was old food turned white with age.  My tanks set on floor, so I got a piece of 1/2" clear tubing about 5' long. I just hold one end in mouth and other end I take short inhales to pull junk off bottom and move on, you just have to watch the dirty water in tube so you don't swallow any. I did this a couple of times and it looked good again. Good luck.

If it is starting with leftover food, I think that'd be a sign that too much food is going into the tank. With the snail I can see in the photo, I'm surprised any food lays around long enough to get moldy.

One option for removing leftover food that has settled to the bottom of the tank is to take it out with a turkey baster or gravel vac. 

Here is a video about using a turkey baster: 

Here is a video Cory did about how to use a gravel vacuum to clean your substrate--I found it helpful because I never knew there was a way to make the siphon start other than by sucking on it; though I am not sure it will work if a tank is on the floor?