Serious Help Needed

FiShrewd

I Dont Run Co2 

I Do Add Fertilizer [only this one - https://www.2hraquarist.com/products/apt3 ]

I Do Have A Dirted Tank

Can The Following Plants Survive In these Conditions - 

red root floater

java fern

windelov java fern

greater duckweed 😄

water lettuce

water wisteria

salvinia

bacopa caroliniana

moneywort

giant hygrophila

vallisneria nana

vallisneria spiralis

vallisneria gigantea

saggitaria sp. giant

saggitaria sp. narrow leaf

java moss :]

pl serious help needed on this

As long as you have a really good light. I'd say 95% of tgat list will be find however you have alot of floaters on that list that will absolutely steal the light from tge bottom plants. 

Side note all plants will grow with out co2 but some just won't thrive give you that color full potential your after. And all plants would benefit from co2 but it's not a must

I agree with Casual; But pH and hardness have an effect as well. I'd keep my pH close to 7.5 for a wide variety of plants to do well. I have a tank with a pH of 8.2, but the plants in there don't do as well, except my Pogostemon. I have a more acidic tank that is at 6.8 and everything thrives in there without CO2.

A good place to look at plant pH parameters are online shops that carry the plants you're considering. I've gone on several websites to find this information. Bruce plants generally has the information on the species listing pages. If you're wanting plants to thrive. pH, hardness, iron, all of these are contributors to how plants are able to take up nutrients and process them. Similar to how Blueberries need acidic soil, Grapes need neutral soil and high iron to fruit, Tomatoes need calcium but not too much magnesium, and so on.

Edited by Minanora
Typo

Cool beans. Glad you found a good buffer. I may give that one a try in my next tank! Ty. I can hardly wait to see photos of your scape!!! So exciting! I try to photograph mine weekly on my 75G to see the progress.

A side note on tetras, I have 7 happy healthy tetras in my 20G that up until a few weeks ago was at a pH of 8.2. it's currently at 7.9-8ish... thus my issues with every plant in that tank except the Pogostemon and one resilient crypt tropica. I'll get the pH down eventually. Slowly, but surely. That tank has inert substrate which I can't change for a while.

Edited by Minanora
Adding info on my substrate

On 11/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, Minanora said:

Cool beans. Glad you found a good buffer. I may give that one a try in my next tank! Ty. I can hardly wait to see photos of your scape!!! So exciting! I try to photograph mine weekly on my 75G to see the progress.

A side note on tetras, I have 7 happy healthy tetras in my 20G that up until a few weeks ago was at a pH of 8.2. it's currently at 7.9-8ish... thus my issues with every plant in that tank except the Pogostemon and one resilient crypt tropica. I'll get the pH down eventually. Slowly, but surely. That tank has inert substrate which I can't change for a while.

i have kept some tetras in high water hardness 

i did a scientific experiment by adding a school of 8 cardinals

to two tanks each

one had a ph of around 7.8 [i used an inert substrate which was black]

other one just had amazonia which was cycled long enough to remove nitrates

both the tanks had one anubias glabra

i added the same ammount of food and fert

the temperature was 78

the cardinals definitely seem to colour much faster in the amazonia tank

obviously all the cardinals survived [ imo cardinal is a hardy tetra compared to others but still the ph matters ]

• Like 1