• pH - 7.6
  • Nitrates - 5
  • Hardness - 12
  • Nitrite-  0
  • Ammonia - 0
  • KH/Buffer - 12
  • Water Temperature 76.6

Hi fam.

I've had these Corydoras since the 5th. I had 7. I have 6 as of today.

Over the last 4 days I've noticed that everyone has slowed down a bit. More chill time, less flying everywhere, being giddy and excited. I still see some playing, but it's much quieter in coryville.

As of Tuesday, I started giving them the Sera bottom feeder tablets. Before that the got overfed by my toddler on Sunday, which is when I noticed them slowing down, after that feeding.

Today I changed 5% of the water; it's the first water change they've experienced in this tank. My Nitrate is always around 5ppm, but I am changing water to lower the hardness and pH gradually. Found out that I murdered all of my Amano shrimp with my uber hard water.... Sadness. 😞

Anyway, before the water change, I noticed that one of the runty corydoras was breathing very rapidly. About an hour after the water change, he was upside down on a tuft of my Chirstmas Moss... Then he darted up to the surface to get some air, which is also super unusual.... and just freefell back to the bottom of the tank. Shortly after that, he died.

I've seen one or two other corys go to the surface for air today, this has never happened. I did use my magfloat today, which means more stuff in the water. So I just added some Fritz Clarifier and raised the flow on my Canister.

I just want to get some input. Is it normal for Corys to slow down like this? What about them going to the surface for air? That cory that passed away was pretty thin but I feed well, and if the toddler has anything to say, they get fed REALLY well... that only happened the once.

Could the Sera tablets be making them constipated? Anyone have experience with these?

I've read also that I should expect to lose about 30-40% of corydoras... but I can't accept that.

My current plan is to fast the tank for 24 hours, then give everyone some skinned frozen peas. I can't fast the tank too much because I have baby swordtails that are impossible to catch in my scape.

Corys usually go to the surface to gulp air it's nothing to worry about as for slowing down try fasting them see how  they go they could have just over eaten so if that the case fasting will sort that i do use Sera wafers but for corys I like hikari bottom feeder wafers and bug bites with some frozen blood worms and brine shrimp 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@Colu Thank you so much for the input. That really puts my mind at ease. Everyone seems to be perking up a bit; I've seen more usual behaviors over the last 12 hours, two of them are still on "chill mode" and they look a bit thin/small but the other four are happy and cruising as per the usual. I did add an air stone today, just because.

Nobody in my 75 really takes the bug bites. I usually have to pull them out in the morning. The corys do like frozen bloodworms and brine. I'll have to pick up some of the Hikari wafers. Tomorrow is bloodworm day. Today is the "light feed" where I mainly feed for the fry and Rasboras. I have a loose cycle of rotation for feeding. The Sera tablets I just picked up on Wednesday to add variety.

• Like 1

If there not putting on weight and have Sunken bellys that can be a sign of wasting disease in that case if they need treating I would use Expel p I would treat all the Cory's to be on the Safe side

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1