Blackening, Drooping Leaves

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 8:14 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Can you tell me more about your water and system? GH, KH substrate and dosing amounts? Filtration, water change amounts and frequency? 

Is that a 75 gallon tank?

Hi yes, 75g. I dose 8 squirts of EasyGreen/EasyCarbon once per week. Only do water changes when nitrates get around 20ppm, no set water changing schedule. Lighting is a single Fluval 3.0 which is maxed (except blue light) with 1 hr ramp up, ramp down..9 hours total a day. Filtration is a large sponge filter and a Seachem Tidal 110 set to low.

Parameters are as follows..

PH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Hardness: 100ppm
KH: 50ppm
Chlorine/Copper: 0ppm

Livestock: Ramshorn snails 100+, MTS snails

My stem plants in my 75 gal often loose the leaves on the bottom 30% of the plant. I’m pretty sure it’s due to not enough light/shading. The Fluval is a great light but doesn’t seem to have enough par to reach shaded areas of a 20” deep tank. I’ve been just cutting off the bad parts and replanting the tops. A benefit is the PSO spreads out and gets denser! 
Nice tank! Btw

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, Patrick_G said:

My stem plants in my 75 gal often loose the leaves on the bottom 30% of the plant. I’m pretty sure it’s due to not enough light/shading. The Fluval is a great light but doesn’t seem to have enough par to reach shaded areas of a 20” deep tank. I’ve been just cutting off the bad parts and replanting the tops. A benefit is the PSO spreads out and gets denser! 
Nice tank! Btw

Hi Patrick, that sounds like it would make sense as it is only affecting the bottom leaves and some in the middle of the plant. The stem plants shown in my pictures are going like weeds as I provide plenty of root tabs and new growth is bright green. I saw on Aquarium Coop, Cory recommends 2 Fluval 3.0's for a medium/high light on a 75g - I know what i'll be asking for Christmas! Hopefully this will solve the issue and provide more light to those lower leaves.

On 12/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I agree with @Patrick_G. I would also increase water changes to 30-50% per week and increase dosing to reach 20ppm NO3 and hold it there.

I was originally only doing water changes when nitrates reach around 20ppm because I'm preparing for RCS which I will be receiving next week. I read they don't appreciate change much so I was trying to practice keeping water changes as infrequent and little as possible while keeping nitrates low..this might seem to have a negative effect on my plants however. 

• Like 1