Lookng for a filter recommendation

WaFfLe

i am setting up a 15 gallon tall aquarium that included a crap HOB filter that sounds like a jackhammer in the distance..... im considering either a Sicce Tidal or a Shark series.

i have zero experience with hang on backs or the internal style because i guess ive been spoiled by my 3 fuval tanks that have internal sumps. 

what would you guys recommend? im used to having everything contained, nearly silent other than water noise and enough room to put multiple pounds of bio media in the back.

my concern with the tidal is vibration sound and my concern with the shark is room for bio media.

oh yeah, and i decided to get a rimless 17 mr aqua, went wih a sicce whale canister for the same reasons above

i figure with the internal, i could add an extra add on cartridge and full blown ocd organize a ton of bio rings vs the tidal would end up being a massive sponge pile and a small bag of bio on top

sicce_shark_adv_800.jpg

sicce-tidal-55-1000-lth-filtro-esterno-a-zainetto-per-acquario-dolce-e-marino-completo-di-materiali-filtranti.jpg

Fluval-Flex-57l-Nano-Aquarium-schwarz-Komplettaqu_2.jpg

Edited by WaFfLe
added to the story
  • Like 1

my concern with the tidal is vibration sound

I have several tidal filters.  They are nearly silent but do have a larger appearance.  The internal motor is really what did it for me, auto shut off and self priming really helps.  They also have a lot of room for media.  Currently I'm only running sponges in my tidal 35.  

• Like 1

My back up filter is the Shark it was a cheap option when I need to take my canister out for a while.  Once it is free of trapped air then it is pretty silent to my ears.  It came with some sponge and some ceramic media they go in baskets and in that sense you can put what you want in there. 

I had to add sponge to the outflow to reduce the current but that depends on what your fish want. 

I did not get on with the venturi option as it just seemed to cause the unit to get air trapped inside and then you get that bubble rattle easily burped out but easier just to turn off that option. I only played with that for a day so it might just need some fine tuning. 

Can't compare with HOBs as never used my set up is internal or canisters only and HOBS are rare over here.  The Shark is pretty easy to clean and take apart. I have mine in a 60 long I imagine you would need to modify the out flow in a 15 tall or it could be a bit intense 

• Like 2

The way to make the most of the space for filter media is to use 30 ppi foam as a biological media, and zero mechanical filtration. Beneficial bacteria needs surface area and flow. 30 ppi foam provides both. The sellers of expensive commercial media hype surface area, but with no flow, surface area inside the media serves no purpose. Also, the microscopic pores in the most expensive media are too small for beneficial bacteria to live in. Without flow, the huge surface area claimed by media manufacturers is meaningless.

I highly recommend aquariumscience.org. The articles there on filtration are great, and the author is not trying to sell you anything.

• Love 1

Thanks all! I ended up with a Tidal35, tripled the foam thickness and added floss to clear out that new tank fog👍

btw the tidal rattled like that aqueon junker i was fighting with, thankfully the petroleum jelly trick worked on this one👍

9365C25B-B2B1-4B68-B6BC-D74BCF2107D5.jpeg

• Like 2