winter feeding of my shubunkins?

Mark Knutson

I have brought my shubunkin goldfish in from an outdoor pond. I live in Minnesota where my pond freezes solid.  I have two 100 gallon stock tanks I have brought into in insulated room in my garage. I plan on heating the room to 47 degrees fahrenheit for the winter.  My question is should I feed the fish at all when the water is at that temperature?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I would, I don't think that is a low enough temp to put them in hibernate mode and although you don't need feed ponds at low temps there is always food in a pond and I doubt there will be much in the stock tanks yet.

Watch them an feed based on activity level, obviously less than summer feeding but your hours of lighting could also be factor to their indoor needs. I'd be checking them and seeing what is going on and feed based on that.  

I know you can get winter pond foods that are more suited to them slowing down but I don't really know how important that is.

Your right on the edge around 47F, my basement gets about that temp usually a little warmer in the low 50s but can dip into the high 40s. You should make sure your feeding a easily digestible food, like flakes or foods designed for winter/fall with wheatgerm. 

Also feed less, their metabolism will be very slow at that temp so a little goes a long way.