Made a mistake- should I use the QT med as a precaution?

Karen B.

Greetings!

I bought 2 new bettas - received them yesterday and they are in a tank divided for their quarantine period with the trio med. One betta is locally bred, the other comes from Indonesia then sold by a local seller.

In my community tank, I noticed one of my corydoras stuck in my small cholla wood. So I quickly grapped the first tweezers I could find and freed him… only then realizing it was the tweezers I ised yesterday for the betta tank.

Should I play it safe and hit my community tank with the med trio just in case?

On 10/29/2021 at 10:18 PM, Karen B. said:

Greetings!

I bought 2 new bettas - received them yesterday and they are in a tank divided for their quarantine period with the trio med. One betta is locally bred, the other comes from Indonesia then sold by a local seller.

In my community tank, I noticed one of my corydoras stuck in my small cholla wood. So I quickly grapped the first tweezers I could find and freed him… only then realizing it was the tweezers I ised yesterday for the betta tank.

Should I play it safe and hit my community tank with the med trio just in case?

Personally, I wouldn’t overthink it. If there’s nothing obviously wrong with your Bettas, it’s unlikely you’ll be spreading disease via a pair of tweezers. Keep a close eye on the community tank for the next few weeks. 

• Like 4

On 10/29/2021 at 10:36 PM, Fish Folk said:

Personally, I wouldn’t overthink it. If there’s nothing obviously wrong with your Bettas, it’s unlikely you’ll be spreading disease via a pair of tweezers. Keep a close eye on the community tank for the next few weeks. 

Thanks, you are making me feel a bit better. I picked this hobby to help me feel less anxious but it’s doing the opposite when I make such stupid mistake… and god knows I make a lot!!!

The timing is so bad too, I wanted to sell my baby cory next week as my tank is so overcrowded (parents breed like rabbits!)

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:35 PM, Karen B. said:

Thanks, you are making me feel a bit better. I picked this hobby to help me feel less anxious but it’s doing the opposite when I make such stupid mistake… and god knows I make a lot!!!

The timing is so bad too, I wanted to sell my baby cory next week as my tank is so overcrowded (parents breed like rabbits!)

If your Corys are breeding, you're doing a good job as an aquarist! Clearly you care very much for the health of your fish. My  2-cents: don't let worry get you down. Personally, I have lost hundreds of fish because of bad choices and mistakes... but I've bred and raised thousands, and hopefully helped other aquarists in developing their handle on this great hobby. I try to remember that every mistake I make is an opportunity to learn and grow. It keeps me from being devastated by them. I bet your Bettas are lovely. We found that ours from Asia unfortunately had built-in terminal ailments due in large part to inbreeding. But they were beautiful while they lasted.

Here was my oldest son's female...

And here was my middle boy's male... until he shattered his tank with a baseball bat...

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:04 AM, Fish Folk said:

If your Corys are breeding, you're doing a good job as an aquarist! Clearly you care very much for the health of your fish. My  2-cents: don't let worry get you down. Personally, I have lost hundreds of fish because of bad choices and mistakes... but I've bred and raised thousands, and hopefully helped other aquarists in developing their handle on this great hobby. I try to remember that every mistake I make is an opportunity to learn and grow. It keeps me from being devastated by them. I bet your Bettas are lovely. We found that ours from Asia unfortunately had built-in terminal ailments due in large part to inbreeding. But they were beautiful while they lasted.

Here was my oldest son's female...

And here was my middle boy's male... until he shattered his tank with a baseball bat...

Your bettas are beautiful! And your son is absolutely adorable and so knowledgeable. 
I do have a hard time forgiving myself when I make mistakes but it’s true that it’s impossible not to. Just have to learn from them but sometimes it’s very hard emotionally… Thank you for your nice words.

Here are my bettas… Darcy… Only lived two weeks, he had a problem with his gills. One of the most beautiful betta I have ever seen.

62D65F2C-142B-4D73-B47F-8E50B29375C2.jpeg.5a0931ae3b070804f506819e7b301cb2.jpeg

Yesterday I received my 2 new bettas. Gandalf and Calypso

D9E1EA5C-9D30-4FA6-A3A0-A226942FD8F3.jpeg.a5b916878d4289817e347764d02f95b0.jpeg

15F9B8B1-4056-46F9-8824-3A214C97017F.jpeg.d7e71f20246b7ffb8aab16c96a55ac53.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1