Advice on Moving fish to another Tank

MollyMomma

Good Morning! Hope everyone is well 🙂

I have 5 coral red dwarf Platys in the observation tank. I purchased them in early June. After 3 days they started showing ICH spots, caught early, Treated with ICH-X for a week, it's now almost November & It has not made a reappearance (thankfully). In August I also purchased some green cories. They've all look good, been in QT for a long time.

I have a 29g I want to transfer them to, the new 29g is full of plants, snails and several molly fry (was trying to use the fry to start cycle). It's been running for over 1 month, I keep checking for ammonia, and haven't found any yet, but Nitrates are staying under 25ppm. No nitrite spikes.

My dilemma is; the Platys seem to have very long white poo, sometimes it's a solid string of red-green,white, or a 4 inch trail of white poo, sometimes it's like translucent thin rope, or grainy. 

it's my first time keeping platys, I've kept mollies for years and their poo does not look like the platys. I don't want to transfer the fish to my new tank if they have an internal parasite or something.

is this normal? 

Edited by MollyMomma
Typo

The colored poo is whatever food they eat. Livebearers forage all day so sometimes overeat and do have longer poo. White poo is sometimes poo with no food just the shed mucous lining of the intestines.  The really long white poo and grainy since they are still in QT I would run them through 2 courses of paracleanse to be on the safe side since you know they had ich and a weaker immune system. I’m not a big medication person so someone else who regularly medicates may know more. Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:17 PM, MollyMomma said:

Okay, thanks, it's just very much different looking from the mollies! The Paracleanse will take care of internal?

I have used Paracleanse with all my new fish since I set up my tank in July. Then for a set of mollies that did not improve in condition (they were super skinny) after two treatments with Paracleanse, I used Expel-P and that did the trick.

Both my platies and my mollies have poo that looks the same--dark and color according to what they ate--but they are in a tank with a lot of algae and plants, so they pretty much have that for "food" throughout the day.

I did read this post by a fish vet that said clear poops don't always mean parasites, it can just be an empty stomach/bowel movement as Guppysnail said. https://cafishvet.com/fish-health-disease/stringy-white-fish-poop/

But if your fish are new and you don't know if they've ever been treated for internal parasites, treating them will help make sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, PineSong said:

I have used Paracleanse with all my new fish since I set up my tank in July. Then for a set of mollies that did not improve in condition (they were super skinny) after two treatments with Paracleanse, I used Expel-P and that did the trick.

Both my platies and my mollies have poo that looks the same--dark and color according to what they ate--but they are in a tank with a lot of algae and plants, so they pretty much have that for "food" throughout the day.

I did read this post by a fish vet that said clear poops don't always mean parasites, it can just be an empty stomach/bowel movement as Guppysnail said. https://cafishvet.com/fish-health-disease/stringy-white-fish-poop/

But if your fish are new and you don't know if they've ever been treated for internal parasites, treating them will help make sure.

Okay Thank you! I say they are "new," but really they've been in observation tank from June - now.. so 5 months. I just kept waiting to see if any issues would arise because the last time I purchased new fish I only QT-ed them for a few weeks & ended struggling up with a world of issues for months.

Maybe I can take a photo tomorrow, so I can show the forum what I'm seeing.

I have Paracleanse on hand. Maybe I can try that first, but I read it can take multiple doses to work.

#Guppysnail Sorry! I didn't realize this was in General Discussion & not diseases, working this forum is new to me.

• Like 1