Rock Wool for Aquarium

labrune

Hello,

Have a question regarding rock wool.  Is any rock wool safe to use in the aquarium?  I have a wood log that has a hole in it that I would like to put my anubias in and then pack the rock wool in the hole to keep the anubias in place.

I saw some rock wool on Amazon but was wondering if any/all rock wool is safe to use?

Thank you for any input/advice you can give!

Right.......  when I originally purchased it it came this way...  with the rock wool to hold it in place.  It has been growing fine just now it has gotten so big that it has come loose so I wanted to put more rock wool in to hold it.  Hard to explain...

I’ve found that over time, the rock wool falls apart and leaves fluffy residue all over the tank. I don’t think it’s unsafe, but I found it annoying. (This was just the rock wool that came in some aquatic plants I ordered online.)  I can’t think of a better substitute for your situation though.

Yes I agree!  That is part of the problem as well is that the rock wool holding the anubias in place is degrading and falling apart.  Just a little timid on buying just any rock wool if there is a difference between various ones.  I don't want to purchase some and then it has something in it that would kill my fish.

• Like 1