Guppy dropsy treatment

FishPlanet

I'm very sorry. Dropsy is a hard one and in my experience more often than not sadly fatal. If you can post pictures and if you have your water parameters those too so we can better help you. 

This thread below @Colu one of our resident medical advisors *wink* aka just really good at the dosing thing- gives some advice on how to treat a betta with dropsy, it would be similar with your guppy. Guppies get a lot of other things though too, so it's best to try and be sure with additionall information. 

Dropsy... help!

• Thanks 1

I can't get a pic right now but she is starting to pinecone. I have snails and shrimp in all of my tanks so I don't really have another extra tank for her. She is in a tank with a few shrimp and bladder snails right now and the only other tank I have without anything in it is occupied by a betta that got stuck in a hideout.

And I just did a water change today in her tank so the water parameters are pretty low.

Chlorine: 0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 1 or so

Ph: 7.6-8.4 (I don't do anything to try to lower the Ph)

Hardness: 300

Alkalinity: 180

I would Qarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon start at 1 table spoon for 3 gallons and gradually increase over a couple of days the salt will help reduce the fluid buildup and I would also treat with kanaplex a broad spectrum antibiotic in food kanaplex is also a good antibiotic treatment if he's not eating as it's absorb thought the skin and good antibiotic treatment for polycystic kidney disease can be a cause of the fluid buildup associated with dropsy  @FishPlanet

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 10:08 PM, Colu said:

I would Qarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon start at 1 table spoon for 3 gallons and gradually increase over a couple of days the salt will help reduce the fluid buildup and I would also treat with kanaplex a broad spectrum antibiotic in food kanaplex is also a good antibiotic treatment if he's not eating as it's absorb thought the skin and good antibiotic treatment for polycystic kidney disease can be a cause of the fluid buildup associated with dropsy  @FishPlanet

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have access to KanaPlex or Focus here. 😔  

Alternative meds  are maracyn 2 or Sera baktopur direct tables both are adsorbed thought the skin and are good at treating internal bacterial infections or you can get ready made antibiotic fish food aquatics foods premium medicated flake   with erythromycin or oxytetracycline or nitrofurazone1534599820_Screenshot_20211027-0543043.png.c94687ced390dd23146de818c21c56a2.png800648891_Screenshot_20211027-0542122.png.1c54db78418f14ee983bf26cf7006573.png@FishPlanet

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear about that. 

Unfortunately, a guppy dying of dropsy isn’t unheard of if not common. What’s weird to me is that almost all of my guppy’s die from dropsy. I have them for 2 or 3 years, and then their activity suddenly slows down, they start hiding, not eating and pineconeing, and unfortunately dies within a week.

How old was Chamomile before she died? If she was between 1 and 3 years old, it was likely a natural death. Either way, don’t feel bad, as I’m sure someone near you breed guppies and I’m also sure that one of them is just waiting to be named Chamomile jr. (or another garden plant. Peppermint? Rosemary? Berry? I love a good garden names theme like the one you started.)

My best advice to you is to not give up on the hobby, and keep going. If you don’t accidentally kill some fish, how will you learn to keep other fish? The best part about this forum is that people can help each other learn from each other’s mistakes, and I’m sure someone has had the same problem as you, and in my case, many times. Good luck with your next round of guppies!!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:03 AM, Guppy Guy said:

So sorry to hear about that. 

Unfortunately, a guppy dying of dropsy isn’t unheard of if not common. What’s weird to me is that almost all of my guppy’s die from dropsy. I have them for 2 or 3 years, and then their activity suddenly slows down, they start hiding, not eating and pineconeing, and unfortunately dies within a week.

How old was Chamomile before she died? If she was between 1 and 3 years old, it was likely a natural death. Either way, don’t feel bad, as I’m sure someone near you breed guppies and I’m also sure that one of them is just waiting to be named Chamomile jr. (or another garden plant. Peppermint? Rosemary? Berry? I love a good garden names theme like the one you started.)

My best advice to you is to not give up on the hobby, and keep going. If you don’t accidentally kill some fish, how will you learn to keep other fish? The best part about this forum is that people can help each other learn from each other’s mistakes, and I’m sure someone has had the same problem as you, and in my case, many times. Good luck with your next round of guppies!!

Thank you. We found her as a fry in a 10 gallon earlier this year. We don't even know who the parents were to this day. We still have another female guppy and a male guppy (I don't know if he is a endler or a guppy. People argued over which kind he was) and we have had bad luck with guppies. We really love the platies, bettas, shrimp, and snails too.