How to feed Otocinclus with garbage disposal platies

Waka88

I have these garbage bins platies, that eat everything.

I bought some Repachy Super Green to feed the Otocinclus.  I just don't know how.  By the time the Oto would find it, the garbage barrels would have eaten it already.  And I discovered the garbage disposals never stop eating, so keeping them fed doesn't work.  Feeding them and then dropping Repachy wouldn't work as they would go after the Repachy afterwards.  They are horrible, if I knew Platies were non-stop pigs, I wouldn't have bought them.  These menace, nothing they won't eat.  I notice they try to eat the water during water changes... morons.

Also I like my Otos even though they are new to the tank more than any of the pigs.

Please help!

Edited by Waka88
  • Like 1

I have similar issues with snails and Black Neons. I haven't entirely resolved it. What I have done so far is found out where the Otos hang out most of the time. I put the food as near to them as I can- thankfully it's kind of sheltered. You can also try veggies the Platies won't eat. Mine like english cucumber- the snails like it but they can't eat enough of it before the Otos get a chance and the Neons don't bother that. I've also noticed Otos are more active at night for me so putting the food out late or in the dark might help. 

• Like 1

I got one of those suction clips.  So thinking of trying to get repachy on something and hang it off the glass.

I'll try again at night, cause I did with plastic glass and the pigs went after it immediately, even with it faced towards the glass, they would wiggle in between and make a mess, now my water is slightly cloudy.  

Platies are ridiculous morons.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, Waka88 said:

I got one of those suction clips.  So thinking of trying to get repachy on something and hang it off the glass.

I have done this for some Giant Otos and Farlowella.  I put Repashy on tongue depressors and clipped them to a “Veggie Clip”.  I can make up a batch of Repashy depressors and keep them in the fridge.  The tongue depressors are pretty smooth and the Repashy doesn’t stick that well. Just rough them up with a little sandpaper first.  

• Like 1

I drop algae wafers or blanched zuchhini in at night when the room is dark. It's not just platies that will eat anything--I believe mollies are actually the worse competition for otos because mollies will also eat a lot of algae. Putting the wafers in after lights out is my best strategy for letting the algae wafers expand and start to attract snails and otos without the platies and mollies and guppies caring about it.