I lost another fishy and they are getting twitchy.

BF McUmber

I had a fish that came in sick and killed two more of my Zebra danio's. So right now I only have 2 left in the tank at work. They are definitely a little agitated in their low numbers. 

The people at work are now invested in the fish tank and are saying they would prefer a tetra as opposed to the danio's. If I was to put ember tetras in with the two zebras do you thin it would chill them out some? or is it a within species thing where they go "there are only two of us AAAAAAAAAA lets go crazy" 

Then as a separate question would similar sized tetras school together like ember tetras and neons or something? 

I think before you restock you need to ensure that whatever bug killed the fish is no longer in  your tank otherwise it could be a unpleasant experience.  And make sure that any ammonia spike from the dead fish has settled back down as this is in the workplace were the dead fish in there a little while? (bad water can cause agitated fish). You might have to wait a little bit for the cycle to settle if this is a relatively young tank. 

Fish like to see other fish so adding a different type might chill things out as long as everyone gets on and no one is out competed as for food.  I would add 1 more danio with the next batch of fish just to give them a better group. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 5:19 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I think before you restock you need to ensure that whatever bug killed the fish is no longer in  your tank otherwise it could be a unpleasant experience.  And make sure that any ammonia spike from the dead fish has settled back down as this is in the workplace were the dead fish in there a little while? (bad water can cause agitated fish). You might have to wait a little bit for the cycle to settle if this is a relatively young tank. 

Fish like to see other fish so adding a different type might chill things out as long as everyone gets on and no one is out competed as for food.  I would add 1 more danio with the next batch of fish just to give them a better group. 

The fish actually didn't die in the tank he was looking weak so we put him in another bucket with some plants and an air stone.  So no ammonia to worry about.  Not to mention the shrimp ate the first fish that died in a matter of hours.  

We thought we had whatever parasite knocked out because it had been a little bit since the first two died.  The tank is about 7 months old or so.  

I am also not optimistic that the new fish will not be sick with my local fish stores.  They constantly seem like they have sick tanks and the other one has a lot of poor looking fish.  The whole issue resulted from the last fish we got coming with something and us not quarantineing/ medicating. 

Indeed.  I quarantine at home,  but at work is just a 10 gallon tank so just treat the tank like it's quarantine now. Especially with coworkers not having patience with the fish.  When we started I didn't have meds at the time so we just watched them... which apparently we stuck at.  

On 10/25/2021 at 11:29 PM, BF McUmber said:

I had a fish that came in sick and killed two more of my Zebra danio's. So right now I only have 2 left in the tank at work. They are definitely a little agitated in their low numbers. 

The people at work are now invested in the fish tank and are saying they would prefer a tetra as opposed to the danio's. If I was to put ember tetras in with the two zebras do you thin it would chill them out some? or is it a within species thing where they go "there are only two of us AAAAAAAAAA lets go crazy" 

Then as a separate question would similar sized tetras school together like ember tetras and neons or something? 

On 10/26/2021 at 5:19 AM, Flumpweesel said:

If you are thinking of 1 large school the answer is most likely no. My Serpae and Ember Tetras hang with each other occasionally, but usually remain in their own groups.  The same goes for my Danios and the Blood fins.  As @Flumpweesel suggested, I would replace the Danio, and add some tetras.  Fish find safety in numbers, but also need to be with their own kind and temperament.

That is kind of what I expected to hear.  And 3 is still a small number for the danios. I will see if everyone is fine with just replacing the danio population up to 5 or 6 and pass on the tetras.

If not we could do 3 danio and like 5 embers probably and that may work.  

• Like 1