Aquarium Co-Op Poly Pad

RyanR

I just ordered the fine poly pad to put in all of my Aquaclears and was wondering what others experiences with it are.  I know the two of these use different ways to accomplish the same result, but I'm hoping to use this as a replacement for Purigen.  I'm getting tired of cleaning the Purigen and I have a couple of AC 20's that I don't like the way the Purigen fits in there.  The only thing I don't think the poly pad will do is remove the tanins, which Purigen did an incredible job (but fouled up in a week).

2 minutes ago, RyanR said:

I just ordered the fine poly pad to put in all of my Aquaclears and was wondering what others experiences with it are.  I know the two of these use different ways to accomplish the same result, but I'm hoping to use this as a replacement for Purigen.  I'm getting tired of cleaning the Purigen and I have a couple of AC 20's that I don't like the way the Purigen fits in there.  The only thing I don't think the poly pad will do is remove the tanins, which Purigen did an incredible job (but fouled up in a week).

@RyanR, I use the fine poly pads in my AquaClear HOB's.  Where I place them in my AquaClears is right on top.  Easy to access and service.  There are many ways and it's really a personal preference.

I use the Co-Op's black coarse sponge pads, cut to fit.  They are on the bottom, Then in the middle I use the AquaClear provided foam block.  Lastly, on top, goes the fine poly pad, for fine particulate filtration.

Typically, I just throw the poly pads out when they get too nasty.

I have some driftwood in aquariums and it may have helped a little with tannins, but it's strong suit is fine particulate filtration, IMO.

The fine poly pads do polish the water, for a crisp, clean appearance.  

All the best.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RyanR said:

I know every tank is different, but how often do you need to replace the poly pads?

@RyanR, My aquariums are moderately to heavily stocked at times.  Typically, about every 8 days they are changed out.  I like very clear water, lol.

One thing to remember when 'hot-rodding' filters is, don't put too much media inside.  This can cause a back-up in the system and potentially flood, etc.

I think you will like the poly pads when you try them.  They are of very good quality.

14 minutes ago, RyanR said:

My aquariums are moderately stocked also and I water change every 2 weeks,  I am hoping that I can get 2-4 weeks out of them.  I will only have a sponge, a pad and bio media in the filter. 

@RyanR, It's possible.  You will have to try and see.  As a note, I am very picky about my aquariums, lol.  I probably could go longer between poly pad replacements, but it's a personal preference for me, etc.   😊

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

An update on this...I took the Purigen out of all of my tanks, replaced it with the fine poly pad and they are all still crystal clear.  So far, I found that I can get about 2-3 weeks out of a pad and I haven't had any (or very little) ammonia spikes when I add new fish.  My QT tank that only has two fish and a ton of floating water sprite hasn't had to be changed yet.  Purigen did help take out tanins, so I'm going to keep it around for when I add new wood.