heavy metal axe filter vs ro system

FrostiesFishes

as the titles states I'm looking for peoples advise on a HMA filter vs a Ro system. i stumbled across hma filters when reading an article from England about using those filters for breeding soft water fish . but from my understanding is it doesn't have any waste water or lower the tds. so im looking for people who have experience with them.  and is tds a good standard to be measuring water quality for breeding lets say tetras and apistos.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, FrostiesFishes said:

as the titles states I'm looking for peoples advise on a HMA filter vs a Ro system. i stumbled across hma filters when reading an article from England about using those filters for breeding soft water fish . but from my understanding is it doesn't have any waste water or lower the tds. so im looking for people who have experience with them.  and is tds a good standard to be measuring water quality for breeding lets say tetras and apistos.

I think you might want to ask this in light of what you’re wanting to breed. Apistos, for example, may have a number of triggers before you labor to soften water substantially. Ours bred in low 3-drop KH range, straight from our tap. Other finicky Cichlids like our Purple Smilers spawned when we changed out about 1/5 of the tank with Rain Water. Discus may require an R.O. System for breeding. But Tetras might just need lots of tannins from leaf / wood / pod black water breakdown. I’m not familiar with the HMA filter, but if you get a reliable spawning report from a breeder who uses it, then I’d assume it can work.

• Like 1