Tank finally cycled time to add fish/shrimp. Need a little guidence.

John Zoidberg

So after 3 or 4 weeks (honestly lost track) my 10 gallon tank is cycled; did a fishless cycle. Verified the numbers with both ACO test strips and API master test kit. I plan on stocking my tank with two Amino Shrimp, male Endlers and maybe a female Betta after everyone else is in the pool. I have a planted tanks with one cripticorine wendetti red, one dwarf aquarium lily, red root floaters and two Vallisneria. The Vallisneria  is not very tall at the moment because it died back but the rest is growing like gang busters.

So now for the questions. Do I add the shrimp only or endlers only? Or can i add both? I dont want to crash my cycle so i was only going to add like 4 endlers first then add more after a month or so.

Also how quickly do I have to add the quest to hotel Glass Box on my desk? I noticed green hair algae in my tank on Friday. I tested it yesterday so i was going to try and add fish and or shrimp on Tuesday (had a work thing come up today so i would be hard pressed to do it today).

Since this is a new tank with nothing living in it i was not going to do a quarantine tank. Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions I just want t start this journey off on the right foot.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:22 PM, lefty o said:

add the fish first. shrimp do better with a more established aquarium. as for the green hair algae, the tank is getting too much light.

Thanks Lefty thats kind of that i thought but I wanted to be safe. As the algae goes I figured maybe it was i was dosing too much easy green. I was only dosing one squirt once a week but i was seeing holes in my dwarf aquarium lily so i upped it to two doses. Ill dial back the light.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have decent luck keeping Amano Shrimp alive in a newer setup. They love to eat fish food and the jumbo sized ones seem to be the most hardy for me, but for sure the safest thing is to wait a bit until you start to see some biofilm or soft brown algae. 

Thanks Patrick. I'll get the fish first then shrimp.