Is my PH too low to breed Multies?

NordicFishKeeper

I recently setup a 40 gallon for my 7 Multies. My PH is 7.6 I know Multies will do better in above 8 ph. I am trying to breed them so I have added “Seachem African Cichlid Mix” to the sand and to the HOB filter. I haven’t seen any change in ph after two weeks of adding to substrate and HOB. Anyone have other ideas for buffing my ph? Will Multies breed in a ph of 7.6? 

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

• Administrators
On 10/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, NordicFishKeeper said:

I recently setup a 40 gallon for my 7 Multies. My PH is 7.6 I know Multies will do better in above 8 ph. I am trying to breed them so I have added “Seachem African Cichlid Mix” to the sand and to the HOB filter. I haven’t seen any change in ph after two weeks of adding to substrate and HOB. Anyone have other ideas for buffing my ph? Will Multies breed in a ph of 7.6? 

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Multis should do fine at 7.6 pH. You could always add a small bag of crushed coral in your HOB and add a little bit of buffer after water changes. 

• Administrators

I just ran downstairs to test a couple of my multi tanks for you. One is around 8.0 pH, the other around 7.8 (between 7.6 and 8.0 on the test strip). Both have hard/high gh and kh because of the aragonite substrate and buffers that I use. 

I have had them at 7.6 before (before a water change). No issues.