Setting up new tank—reuse substrate or start new?

Nanci B

Hey folks!

So as some of you know I am setting up a 75 and and had planned on moving the sponge filter to speed up the cycle, (which is overrun with green hair algae) and reusing the substrate from the smaller tank (and adding more new eco complete) to increase the beneficial bacteria in the new 75  However, I read somewhere that disturbing substrate will kill the beneficial bacteria colony and cause serious problems. Finally just discovered a hydra outbreak. I don’t know if anything in the old tank can be used, except the plants which I can dip.  

So my questions are:

1) pros and cons of reusing the substrate?

2] should I use the seeded sponge filter with algae in it? —I will of course remove as much algae as possible. I don’t know if there are hydra in the sponge.  

If anyone has ideas or has done this, I would love to hear from you! 

I have hydra (my guppies eat it so it does not bother me in those tanks) If you wish to avoid transfer use nothing.  When I transfer plants even after dip in peroxide they sometimes migrate which doesn’t really bother me I just don’t feed powder food or small live food to control until guppies are old enough to eat it. Dipping in hydrogen peroxide long enough to kill hydra kills or severely damages more delicate plants.  It’s a fine line to dip long enough to kill hydra but not hurt the plant ( one I’m bad at and often kill my plant so usually just let it be) They can also easily move with any shared equipment has been my experience.

• Like 2

If you haven’t had any biohazards in the tank you’re pulling the substrate from I think it’s fine. One of the best ways to start a tank is filter material or substrate from an established healthy aquarium. You may lose some beneficial bacteria but still is colonized with it and it’ll grow back. 
As @Guppysnailsaid there can be hazards. I’ve had some tanks with biological disasters and had aquasoil in them. I took the aquasoil and put it out in the sun to dry then baked it at 350 for 30 Min. I felt ok about reusing it after all that but circumstances will dictate your decision.