Polyguard or ich x....

Ramie

I have a betta with velvet and possibly something bacterial. I have polyguard and it would address both and says it can be dosed up to 2 weeks....which is good as parasites have the whole life cycle aspect to treating them. But i worry it may be too strong. Ich x i also have on hand but it says it can only be dosed up to 3 days. Does anyone have experience treating velvet with either of these....or just using either of these in any case...how did it go? What did you do? Any seemingly bad side effects?

On 9/26/2021 at 6:05 PM, Colu said:

Ick x is good treatment for velvet  you can use ick x with kanaplex if your using kanaplex in food poly guard only treats ich not velvet  I have used ick x to treat suspected fungal infection had no problems I haven't used poly guard before 

Oddly the one time i used polyguard was to treat velvet...and it worked. It never came back....but about 8 months later that fish had something bacterial going on and i used kanaplex...he seemed to be getting better and all of a sudden had dropsy and died within 48 hours. Idk if the kanaplex was too much for him...but i also wondered if perhaps the polyguard months before had caused perhaps some damage also that the kanaplex just finished off...which is why im wondering if ich x is less intense but also effective. Not trying to kill my current fish trying to save him..as i may have done before. (The current fish didnt get it from my last fish...no cross contamination. Completely different equipment and everything) I also have erythromycin which i could dose him with after the velvet is taken care of. Have you used ich x for velvet or ich? If so did you dose more than 3 days or did you repeat dosing after a number of days? Did it come back?