Cherry shrimp: parasite or fungus?

Emma

Just spotted a cherry shrimp with a fuzzy green addition to its rostrum. I couldn’t see anything elsewhere on its body, but the carapace does look generally dull and worse than it should. Any chance this is treatable? Or should I catch it out and euthanize?CE02050C-A8D4-4802-8CB0-00B42799C233.jpeg.a92e8531ac4fd5d24d7c4852f6cf27bf.jpeg 

Edited by Emma

Get it out of the tank. I just finished a battle with that stuff, it spreads fast. After many weeks of culling anybody that looked like they had it I haven't seen any new cases for a couple weeks. Maybe I won but I'm not real confident.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Ken said:

Get it out of the tank. I just finished a battle with that stuff, it spreads fast. After many weeks of culling anybody that looked like they had it I haven't seen any new cases for a couple weeks. Maybe I won but I'm not real confident.

I'm dealing with it now. I'm hoping the med concoction I'm using will work. I might have to pull this one female and up the dose in another tank. 

On 9/4/2021 at 5:08 PM, Tihshho said:

I'm dealing with it now. I'm hoping the med concoction I'm using will work. I might have to pull this one female and up the dose in another tank. 

Good luck. The whole experience was pretty unpleasant for me. It would be nice to hear of someone being able to say they are confident they defeated it using a definable process.

I'm doing some testing with meds myself right now, so I wouldn't recommend my path just yet. What I'm currently using is Ruby Reef's Rally which is known to kill dinoflagellates and they are related to ellobiopsidae. Right now I'm on day four of treatment and I believe to be seeing the infestation decreasing. I am dosing the whole tank just to be sure that I'm killing anything waterborne. Again, I wouldn't recommend this solution yet as I'm still doing some testing, plus these meds come in large bottles and are not exactly cheap since they are primarily marketed to SW and Reef folk. 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, Tihshho said:

I'm doing some testing with meds myself right now, so I wouldn't recommend my path just yet. What I'm currently using is Ruby Reef's Rally which is known to kill dinoflagellates and they are related to ellobiopsidae. Right now I'm on day four of treatment and I believe to be seeing the infestation decreasing. I am dosing the whole tank just to be sure that I'm killing anything waterborne. Again, I wouldn't recommend this solution yet as I'm still doing some testing, plus these meds come in large bottles and are not exactly cheap since they are primarily marketed to SW and Reef folk. 

That’s really interesting! I only have 8 shrimp total so while it sucks it’s not an enormous loss. If I lose them all, I’ll probably wait six months and try again. But I have ich-x and a set up quarantine tank, so it’s no harm seeing if I can save the one I’ve found so far. But I’m definitely interested in your results, as I plan to have more tanks and more shrimp, someday.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:24 PM, Ken said:

Good luck. The whole experience was pretty unpleasant for me. It would be nice to hear of someone being able to say they are confident they defeated it using a definable process.

I wish I could say I did, but this nasty stuff wiped a whole colony of shrimp for me. I was very new to aquariums and was probably overfeeding. 🙁

• Like 1