Wen growth or something else on ranchu?

LoriG

Water Parameters:

Ammo=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates=10, Temp=76, pH= 7.0

Tank is 65 gal & has 4 small ranchu, a Japanese Trapdoor snail and live plants.  I do 25-30% water changes every other day.  I vacuum the sand/water 2x/day. I feed them a variety of Rapashy Super Gold gel food, Hikari Fancy GF pellets, frozen blood worms, daphnia, & brine shrimp & fresh veggies.

1 of my ranchu, Rosie, has had white “pimples” on her wen on/off for about a week or so. These go away on there own. I thought it was normal wen growth. Today there’s red around a new “pimple.”   Is this something I need to treat?  I have lots of meds on hand, but likely would do a salt bath or use ParaGuard if necessary. She seems ok behaviorally, maybe a little isolative, but it may be my paranoia.  She is eating normally.

I’ve included some pics for reference. 

Thanks for any help!

860D67C6-916C-4E5D-93AE-3A3C72CF0BB9.jpeg

90272FE0-3981-4BF8-8683-FB2967377069.jpeg

56A929D1-8C65-4E4B-8CA2-34C53346042C.jpeg

0873CE63-8A76-41A5-BB76-4FF7A3CB9C61.jpeg

I would monitor for now it  might heal on it own if it gets worse you could do a salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day or you could treat with antibiotic medication like maracyn I don't think it at the stage where you need to treat yet

• 2 weeks later...

Rosie seemed to improve until yesterday when I noticed bloating and a pine cone appearance- dreaded dropsy. I put her in a QT and dosed Prime, Epsom salt & started Kanaplex and Furan-2.  I have a sponge filter & heater in the QT(but it’s not cycled). I plan on doing daily water changes  and using Prime to keep water parameters controlled. Am I causing more harm than good keeping her in a non-cycled tank?  

Any other suggestions for treating the dropsy?

Edited by LoriG
Added info

You can add kanaplex to her food it more  effective that way you can still do daily water changes  and add prime to detoxify any nitrites and ammonia if.you.have some cycled filter media from another tank that would help he's a.food recipe for kanaplex aquarium salt better add directly to his tank epsom salts better used in a bath 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu

Thanks Colu!  I started feeding the Kanaplex in the food this morning. She’s eating normally so I know she’s getting the medication. She looks really awful but behaviorally seems ok. I know dropsy is usually fatal but I have to try. 

Should I continue the Furan-2?

Dropsy cause by number of thing such as polycystic kidney disease internal bacterial infection and many other causes kanamycin is very affective antibiotic for treating kidney disease and I would keep treating with kanaplex and furan2 together

Hi Colu!  Rosie is really improving. I’ve been feed her Kanaplex in her food and finished treating with Furan-2. Her bloating has decreased significantly, but she still has some on her Right side. She has some mild pineconing on that side, too. I did a few epsom salt baths but they seemed to stress her out, even at 1 tsp per 5 gallons. She’s doing well in her QT tank- active, eating and pooping well. 
What should I do now?  Continue feeding the Kanaplex until her Right side is better or switch to something else? She’ll be finished 7 days of Kanaplex medicated food tomorrow.
Thanks for all of your help!!! 

I would add a small amount of aquarium salt directly to her tank it will help reduce the fluid buildup on her right side  most important thing is to keep stress to a minimum and keep good water quality zero nitrites and ammonia and feed her a good quality food such as hikari goldfish staple and some frozen or live foods such as brine shrimp daphnia blood worms and some peas I would give her a rest from the meds for a couple of days   just treat with the aquarium salt after a couple of days ago if the bloating on the right side hasn't gone down I would do another course of furan2  @LoriG

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  Rosie is still in QT. Her dropsy is gone. No more swelling or pineconing. She developed a red sore on her tail so I dosed Kanaplex + Metroplex for 2 doses.  It went away but now there’s a new red spot. I’ve been dosing salt daily. I have Maracyn 2 coming. Should I try it or stick with the Kanaplex+ Metroplex?  She’s showing no signs of illness. Eating well. Swimming strongly.