Expel P treatment for Camallanus worms

RachelElizabeth

I am 90% sure that I have a Camallanus worm infection going on with my cherry barbs. Some look totally normal, but a few are looking pretty poorly.  I think I can see the little red round worms at the anus. There are other fish in the tank (gouramis and pleco), but as of right now they look ok. I ordered Expel P from the Co-Op and it came in today. I am getting ready to dose now, following the package instructions of 1 packet of meds per 10 gallons of water. It says to turn off the lights, remove carbon filtration, wait 24 hours, and do a 25% water change. Then dose again after 1 week to prevent re-infestation. 

My question is, when do I return the carbon to the filter? And how do I know if it is necessary to do a 3rd round of treatment? 

Really hoping to beat these nasty little buggers before I lose any fish. Thank you!

To be completely honest, I would not take chances and assume that three doses are necessary to eradicate the infection. I wouldn't return carbon to the filter until you're sure there's no more worms in the tank -- or at all, and just allow the medication to get changed out with water changes. Levamisole degrades in water relatively quickly.

If you have inverts, expect some of your snails to slow down during treatment (along with the fish during recovery). This is normal. Your inverts should be fine with this medicine, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you do your water change after initial treatment, be sure to vacuum the bottom really well. I have used Levamisole, just not specifically the Expel-P, but I'd imagine it is similar.  I put a towel over the tank to prevent light from coming in, and I believe I did 3 full courses overall. I just let the med degrade, without using carbon to remove it. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1