Salt in a planted tank?

Leo2o915

I have used salt at low levels in planted tanks without ill effect, but not sure that's a strategy I'd use to try to control snails. Seems like a risky game to play. Another option I'd consider: Assassin snails. They'll seek out pest snails but don't reproduce readily in most freshwater aquariums and in my experience won't harm shrimp.

33 minutes ago, Sykes said:

I have used salt at low levels in planted tanks without ill effect, but not sure that's a strategy I'd use to try to control snails. Seems like a risky game to play. Another option I'd consider: Assassin snails. They'll seek out pest snails but don't reproduce readily in most freshwater aquariums and in my experience won't harm shrimp.

I have 4 assasin snails in the tank at the moment 

5 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

I have 4 assasin snails in the tank at the moment 

I'm dealing with snail overload myself. I've added assassin snails but only added 4. Bought 4 more and decided to help by putting pieces of cucumber on a suction cup and snails love it. So i give it a couple hours.  Pull out the cucumber with snails on it and give it to my neighbor who has a tank full of clown loaches.  I put about 4 pieces in last night and counted about 40 snails on the cucumber slices. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JerseyBundy said:

I'm dealing with snail overload myself. I've added assassin snails but only added 4. Bought 4 more and decided to help by putting pieces of cucumber on a suction cup and snails love it. So i give it a couple hours.  Pull out the cucumber with snails on it and give it to my neighbor who has a tank full of clown loaches.  I put about 4 pieces in last night and counted about 40 snails on the cucumber slices. 

Nice I’m going to get more assasin snails