Crinum Calamistratum Advice?

Hi, there! 

I recently finally was able to order a Crinum calamistratum (been drooling over this plant for a couple of years) from A-Co-op. It didn't do well, and I'm trying to figure out how I can do better if I decide to try again. Short story is that the leaves melted back hard within a day (not unexpected from what I've learned from A-Coop so I was trying to be patient), then slowly disintegrated within about 2 weeks (bulb and leaves) which was sad 😞 

Longer story: This was my first time ordering plants online and it arrived with other products (no other plants) and was brought inside from the mail within an hour.  It had a few melting leaves on arrival but looked healthy otherwise. I debated but then decided to try an alum dip for snails a la Irene's advice (measured and timed carefully and correctly as I've done before, but knowing this might be risky). Melt happened as above. I have about 5 moderately heavily planted low-tech tanks that are otherwise thriving using Easy Green and Flourish root tabs, and have grown from bulbs some other crinum (thaianum?) in a different tank. I have aponogeton bulbs planted in the same place/tank that sprouted and grew 6 inch leaves within the month (several root tabs placed around the crinum and apono), so I think ferts/tank health are not the issue. I have super soft water out of the tap in most of my tanks, but this tank I harden with Equilibrium in measured doses for guppies. pH around 7.8, fertilize to keep nitrates ~20-30. 

Did I kill it with the alum dip (most likely?). Just bad luck? Too many/too little root tabs? Sorry, I didn't snap any photos during the process. Thanks in advance for any advice. Or if anyone has a good alternate plant that looks similar but maybe hardier?

• Administrators

Crinum is a very slow growing plant. Much different than other bulb plants. What can grow in a month for a bulb plant can take a year on a Crinum. I myself am not a fan of dipping plants to get rid of snails. In this instance snails would have helped eat any decaying matter for you. Assuming you still have the plant, just leave it planted and once roots establish it'll regrow.

To quote Tom Barr" Crinum "one of the few plants that isn't a weed" as in it grows very slowly and you have to make effort to grow and propagate it. Unlike other plants that just continuously grow and you need to trim them all the time.

Thanks, for the speedy reply Cory - The stalk with the leaves essentially fully separated from the bulb after 2 weeks, which had mostly died at this time so leaving it planted wasn't an option. I do have a few mystery snails (which were enjoying snacking on the dead bulb by this point), but wasn't ready to introduce other snail species at this time.  I figured I had messed things up with the dip, but I had used it successfully before. If I try again, definitely will skip the dip. 

Edited by NBrucker