Failed DIY CO2? :(

Hello,

I planned on making my 5.5g tank a planted one, so I wanted to experiment with DIY CO2 as a way to save money. I followed the instructions of this article here: https://www.buildyouraquarium.com/diy-co2-reactor/  .... Despite following these directions, there are no bubbles whatsoever appearing from the diffuser, and after 12 hours the CO2 indicator shows no change and sits at blue.

Since my tank is smaller, I went with a single bottle with a size of 15.2 fl oz and so halved the ingredients (sugar, yeast, baking soda) when preparing the mixture. I think this part might be okay-- I can see that the bottle has been reacting for about 12 hours now, bubbles are fizzing up towards the top of the bottle.

I think something might be wrong with the physical mechanics of how the bottle was set up. Initially I had been fiddling around with the tubing and inadvertently pushed several inches of it into the bottle without realizing it, straight into the liquid mixture, so I think that might've made it to where the gas wasn't entering the line properly. Liquid also entered the tubing, and is scattered around different parts of it as well as a bit in the check valve and diffuser. I poured about 1/5 of the liquid in the bottle out and pulled the tubing further back out (the silicone for the lid was still wet, and I re-applied more afterwards) so that gas could rise to the top of the bottle and go cleanly into the tubing.

I also wonder if the placement of my check valve is incorrect. In the article, it states to insert the check valve to where the arrow is pointed in the direction of CO2 flow (from bottle to tank) but the check valves I have do not show an arrow. The picture supplied in the article makes it look like at the tip of the arrow is also the tip of the the piece inside the check valve, so that's what I used to base the check valve insertion off of, but now I wonder if this might be wrong, too...

Does anyone know what might've possibly gone wrong with how I did my CO2 system? Please let me know, I'm eager to get plants in my tank! 😭

Edited by sparklymoonshrimp

A few things we can troubleshoot. I haven't done a DIY CO2, I use pressurized, but two things jump out at me.

Which diffuser are you using? Some CO2 diffusers require a minimum working pressure to diffuse. Mine require 40 psi to start bubbling. You will need a low-working-pressure CO2 diffuser to work with your DIY system.

Second, pictures will totally help determine if your check valve is on correctly!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, laritheloud said:

A few things we can troubleshoot. I haven't done a DIY CO2, I use pressurized, but two things jump out at me.

Which diffuser are you using? Some CO2 diffusers require a minimum working pressure to diffuse. Mine require 40 psi to start bubbling. You will need a low-working-pressure CO2 diffuser to work with your DIY system.

Second, pictures will totally help determine if your check valve is on correctly!

Hi!

So this is the diffuser I got for it (not the same brand I don't think, but is identical):

https://www.amazon.com/Rodipu-Transparent-Diffuser-Durable-Aquarium/dp/B08R943ZW4/ref=sr_1_47?dchild=1&keywords=diffuser+co2&qid=1628959357&sr=8-47

I had a suspicion as well that there simply might not be enough pressure in my small bottle to push gas through this type of diffuser, as I usually see it used in fancier set-ups.

Here is a picture of my bottle and check valve:

http://imgur.com/a/rnwTmcd

Edited by sparklymoonshrimp

On 8/14/2021 at 11:55 AM, laritheloud said:

The check valve looks good and you did it right! So the only other factor is the pressure. I wish there was information on the exact psi needed for that diffuser because I can’t find that info at all… I’m sorry I can’t help further and I hope someone who has done diy CO2 will chime in.

That's okay, what you were able to tell me is really helpful still! 🙂 Maybe I'll try using one of those cheaper, basic blue aeration stones you seen often, I think even Aquarium Co-Op has them. Thanks for your help! 👍