Has Anyone Bred Green Lantern Platies?

PineSong

When I decided to set up a 'peaceful community tank'* I really wanted Green Lantern platies, but none of the stores around me have them.

I am probably a couple months out from even bringing fish home to quarantine and I may even wait until spring, put my current platies (orange and red) in a pond outside and order a mix of boy and girl Green Lanterns to have the fun of raising fry. 

Here's my question: is the green lantern coloration something that tends to show up consistently in offspring, or does it require a lot of culling to get a group of fish with a consistent amount of green? I'm not a culling person, so I'll be living with or finding homes for whatever comes out. I just thought maybe not breeding very true is why stores here rarely have them, and wondered what I could reasonably expect.

*peaceful in theory, but due to male guppies who are very eager to challenge anything with fins, not so much in practice, womp womp.

Sorry about the time to upload photos, I was out of town on business.  Also this tank temporarily has some fake plants in it for cover until the real plants get bigger and thicker.  For the most part I think they're pretty consistent.  Photos really don't do their green/blue sheen justice though.  I wish I knew how to upload video here

PXL_20210718_231744491.jpg

PXL_20210718_231739783.jpg

PXL_20210718_231736757.jpg

PXL_20210718_231730478.jpg

PXL_20210718_231720400.jpg

PXL_20210718_231716234.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Thank you, Ben. I appreciate the photos.They are very pretty and they look stout and happy in your tank. Have they been breeding as expected for you? And did you find them in a shop or online or ? I really like them and I'm looking forward to when I can get some.

They definitely breed easily and readily for me, I got mine from a local shop and they have their first batch of fry less than 2 weeks after getting them and now I don't really know when they have fry.  I have probably a dozen adult females and pretty much just weekly pull fry out. 

• Like 1

I will say the only odd thing I find with my green lanterns is they I get a very large number of females vs males.  I don't know if the numbers are skewed at birth or if the males just get eaten or something.  But it's like 80 percent female.  I do get the same thing with dumbo mosaic guppies so maybe it has something to do with my water.  Not really sure

On 7/22/2021 at 5:47 PM, Ben P. said:

I will say the only odd thing I find with my green lanterns is they I get a very large number of females vs males.  I don't know if the numbers are skewed at birth or if the males just get eaten or something.  But it's like 80 percent female.  I do get the same thing with dumbo mosaic guppies so maybe it has something to do with my water.  Not really sure

That's interesting!