Local Club Memberships

Drew Schmidt

Hi everybody hope your having a great day. My local club is tracking members the old fashioned way. Tracking through an excel form and writing emails down on paper. I am trying to get out of the stone age so we can track memberships easier and also send out notifications on lapsed dues and maybe if possible integrate a local breeder award program tied to the membership on our website. I have found software that could do this for us but i cant talk the presidency into spending 1/4 of our annual budget on software. So I am wondering how does your local club track their membership dues?

Drew;

No, we're not in the same club, but I wish there was an aquarium club around here.

While the people around here like aquariums, most people give up on them the first time they have a problem, so there's just no interest in a club, and that's a shame. I have a State Fisheries Biologist on board who can answer questions and solve problems, if I can ever get something going.

In my home state of Florida, there are a lot of aquarium clubs all over the state, some specialize in Guppies, Angelfish, Betta's, Discus, you name it, just about anything, freshwater or salt water.

If you already have a club going, a pen, a spiral notebook, and membership cards with the clubs' logo, and spaces for the members name and expiration date is a good way to start until someone puts together a spreadsheet. Even then you're probably still going to want to issue membership cards so people will know when their membership expires.

Good luck and best wishes.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:27 PM, Gator said:

Drew;

No, we're not in the same club, but I wish there was an aquarium club around here.

While the people around here like aquariums, most people give up on them the first time they have a problem, so there's just no interest in a club, and that's a shame. I have a State Fisheries Biologist on board who can answer questions and solve problems, if I can ever get something going.

In my home state of Florida, there are a lot of aquarium clubs all over the state, some specialize in Guppies, Angelfish, Betta's, Discus, you name it, just about anything, freshwater or salt water.

If you already have a club going, a pen, a spiral notebook, and membership cards with the clubs' logo, and spaces for the members name and expiration date is a good way to start until someone puts together a spreadsheet. Even then you're probably still going to want to issue membership cards so people will know when their membership expires.

Good luck and best wishes.

Sincerely

Gator

Yes that’s the setup we currently have. I got them talked into membership cards this year. Basically just a business card with the club logo on the front and the months and a place to write in the year on the back. Our club has been established since the 60s and I just volunteer here and there. Probably give the presidency more head aches then anything.

Drew;

Keep giving the President a headache, but not too much.

I don't know how old the President is, he has experience with fishkeeping, but obviously not so much with computers.

Does your club have a secretary that knows how to use a computer? Does your club even have a computer?

Maybe when the next election rolls around, you should run for secretary.

Consider it.

Sincerely

Gator

One of the local clubs I am in, does a lot by pen and paper. The other one, a lot of the board members are very computer savvy. One of the board members developed a spreadsheet on Google docs to track memberships, and he did one to use at monthly meetings to use for the auctions that are held at the meetings.